How high? (nest boxes and roosts)

traceyleezle

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 21, 2010
I know this is probably a silly question, but I'm a newb...how high up should the next boxes and roosts be in the coop?

They say its best to have the nesting boxes up high enough for the chickens to be able to get under them. More floor space that way. On the roost they like to be high for the most part.

I hear bantams dont like to roost very high.

smile.png

Nest Boxes 18-24" off the floor of the coop
Roosts at least 12-18" Above level of Top Nestbox. (as they will roost in the nestboxes if roosts are lower)

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Like Pandorataylor said. I have a walk-in coop and my roosts are at 48" and nests are at 24" on opposite wall. No poop in nests ever that way. Mine only use them for what they were intended. BTW, If you are not planning on a poop board, then do so or face lots of extra time-consuming litter work in the coop. Make it 24" wide and the length of the roost. Set roost out 12" from wall. Make it of 1/2" OSB and glue linoleum on it. Scrape daily
sickbyc.gif
and you will find that the coop smells better and the litter lasts lots longer too.

Lots of good advice coming your way- remember that big birds need lower roosts to avoid leg injury when coming off them and that banties can be up higher...

These are sexlink layers, so a bit smaller than standards. Hens are very fond of platforms and it keeps the coop interesting and easier to clean.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom