How High

Manhen

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
Illinios
I have 27 assorted chicks including Leghorns, Dominiques, and others that are 4 weeks old now. My coop is not ready and they are outgrowing the brooder. I want to let them out during the day, how high will my fence need to be?

As I understand they are now at the max for the brooder, and am cleaning and feeding often. Greens, dirt/grit, etc.

Work to get your coop and run done ASAP, and meanwhile, you could enlarge your brooder. Maybe two big cardboard appliance boxes put together, or something.
Outside would be great, but depending on breeds, a very high fence may be needed. How is your run coming along?
Pictures of your setup will be helpful here. How close to finished is the coop? Run?
Can they just move out there?
Mary

You only need a fence about 4 feet tall to keep them in but if you want to be extra cautious about keeping them in you can trim their wings so they can’t fly. Most of mine stay in with the four foot fence but occasionally the skinny chicken will be able to fly fatter chickens can only dream about flying that high.

Work to get your coop and run done ASAP, and meanwhile, you could enlarge your brooder. Maybe two big cardboard appliance boxes put together, or something.
Outside would be great, but depending on breeds, a very high fence may be needed. How is your run coming along?
Pictures of your setup will be helpful here. How close to finished is the coop? Run?
Can they just move out there?
Mary
I have several other threads. I will move the brooder into the coop area Tuesday, and in the evening secure them in the brooder.

I have put in the poultry netting to 5 foot 7 inches. They haven't been flying over it and they are now at 7 1/2 weeks. A few went under it, but I got better at it. :)

at 12 weeks 5'7" has kept them from going over. Going with a 6' 0" 2"x4" welded wire fence, around but not over a 40' oak tree that is about 25' from the lenai. (an end of the section of the barn with a missing triple door behind which is the coop). Funny to see them make a break for it from the tree to the coop. My cock-a-doodle-doo sets them off. :)

View attachment 1943854
Many of my birds can fly higher, some much higher! It's also about motivation, so they might stay in the fencing, if it's interesting and comfortable enough.
Also it's good to train them to come when called, with food and treats.
Mary
I have enclosed a half acre in 6' 2X4 welded wire. The 86 birds now have some space. The coop is also fortified/sectioned and kitted out with feeders/fonts. I had a coil of the 6 foot fence, about 15" inside diameter that I put an obnoxious owl-headed rooster at 12 weeks into. It flew/climbed up that tube of fence in less than 2 seconds. As my nephew and I had just finished putting in 700 feet of fence it was extremely disconcerting. He looked at me, still sweating, and said "This isn't good". Darwin award.
runoct2019.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom