How I Cured Bumblefoot With Tricide Neo

5DogsRanch

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2018
One of my hens had Bumblefoot in both feet. I had removed the bumbles before but they came back. I came up with a solution to treat it for good. I hope this helps you do the same. This treatment involves removal of the bumbles and the use of Tricide Neo. Tricide is formulated to aid in the treatment of superficial bacterial infections such as ulcer disease, fin rot and gill disease in fish. First, I soaked my hens feet in Epsom salts for 10 mins first to soften the bumbles, follow box directions for epsom amounts. Next, I put my hen in a small dog harness and suspended her so that I would have full access to her feet. If you dont have this, you can wrap the bird tightly in a towel and lay it on its side. I have done it both ways and let me tell you, the dog harness is definitely easier to get access to the feet and less stressful to your bird. I did give her extra chest and neck support by wrapping some cloth around the harness. I have attached pictures so you can see what I mean. I cut the hard bumbles out with a scalpel and tweezers and just worked them out. Its pretty easy to see the difference between flesh and bumbles so dont be too worried, just cut a little bit at a time and be patient. When I felt that all the bumbles were out, I immediately soaked her feet in the Tricide Neo mixture for about 8 mins and then smeared a BIG gob of antibiotic ointment on the wounds, placed gauze on the bottom of the foot and then wrapped the feet well to keep out dirt the best I could. Dont over tighten your tape and make sure to wrap it thru all the the toes and up the leg. I left the wraps on for 2 days. After removing bandages, I soaked the feet in a small container with the solution of Tricide Neo for about 7 minutes twice a day. Do this for about 7 days. After a week my hen was walking normal and her Bumblefoot was gone. I believe the critical part of my success was the use of Tricide Neo. I have read about other peoples success using Tricide Neo in chickens. I purchased mine from a pond fish seller on ebay. I followed package directions and mixed only the small amount I needed for the week. The cost was approximately $30.00 for the packet, but since my hen was young and has many years of egg production ahead of her, the cost was small. Plus, you will only use about 1/4 of the packet and will have it for future use. The powder will keep for years, but once mixed with distilled water it will have a shelf life of about a week so only mix what you need for the week. I made only 1/4 of the packet and kept the solution in a cool dark place. I poured a small amount in a plastic tupperware and soaked the feet re-using the same solution for a couple days and only changing it when it was soiled. I hope this works for you like it did for me. Good luck and check out the pics.
20180827_110609.jpg
20180827_112645.jpg
20180827_112635.jpg
20180827_110609.jpg
20180827_112645.jpg
20180827_112635.jpg

I've used Tricide Neo and it works well treating bumblefoot. It's not necessary to cut into the footpad to remove the infection using Trineo. Soaking it 2 times a day for only 7 minutes each time will heal the bumblefoot, and depending how much infection there is, it will heal and disappear in about 7-10 days for a small scab/infection. The larger the scab/infection, it takes more time to heal, but it will heal.
For large infections, due to the long time it takes to heal, I just go ahead and do the surgery and get it done and over with. If the infection reappears, that means the infection wasnt completely removed the first time and requires another surgery. You can usually tell in a few days after the initial surgery if the infection was completely removed.
Here's a link with my experience with Trineo, post#2:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/

I've used Tricide Neo and it works well treating bumblefoot. It's not necessary to cut into the footpad to remove the infection using Trineo. Soaking it 2 times a day for only 7 minutes each time will heal the bumblefoot, and depending how much infection there is, it will heal and disappear in about 7-10 days for a small scab/infection. The larger the scab/infection, it takes more time to heal, but it will heal.
For large infections, due to the long time it takes to heal, I just go ahead and do the surgery and get it done and over with. If the infection reappears, that means the infection wasnt completely removed the first time and requires another surgery. You can usually tell in a few days after the initial surgery if the infection was completely removed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/
Thank you for replying dawg53! When I was searching for Bumblefoot cures, yours is the OP I found that made me purchase the Tricide Neo. I'm so grateful that you posted it. In my case though, I did treat the hen's feet first soaking them in the Tricide, but they didn't get better. Possibly her infection was too far advanced, that is why I did the surgery and then the soaking. I really believe that the Tricide helped clear up the infection faster, and you are right to recommend soaking first in Tricide for smaller infections to avoid cutting into the feet. Thank you for your wisdom and for sharing it!
5DogsRanch

@5DogsRanch I'm happy it all worked out for you. Hopefully your birds wont have anymore bumblefoot problems.
If you have elevated roosts, try lowering them and use sandpaper to smooth them down.
This works especially well with standard size and heavy breeds in preventing bumblefoot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom