How I found my lost dog

wamtazlady

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Kalispell MT
Bogey is a 10 pound terrier mix I got at the dog rescue a few months ago. Had friend up to watch a football play off game. Let her dog and Bogey out into the totally fenced back yard to go potty. Her dog came in. Five minutes later I looked for mine as it was going down to 14 F that night. No dog in the yard. Gone. Friend came out to look for the dog and nothing.

Called the neighbors to be on the lookout. Drove up and down the road calling and looking. Nothing. No barking. Now we are wondering if an owl got the dog as we did see an owl. Wonderful neighbor is walking the property with a flashlight. Other neighbors are out with their dogs looking. Got home and went into the house. My other dog, Tee wanted to go out. I went with her as I was afraid she would disappear also. Tee ran to the old shed and barked. Then she looked at me and barked. So, wondering why she was doing something she has never done before I went over to her. Faintly I could hear Bogey barking. It was all muffled and was coming from under the 100 year old shed.

Called more neighbors. I'm 68 and my friend is 67 and we both have COPD so digging is not something we can easily do, especially in the frigid air. While waiting I heard Bogey whine a few times and could hear him scratching on wood. Neighbors came and brought saws and shovels. Digging did not produce a dog. So they decided to cut a hole in the floor of the shed. Looking into the hole all we saw were skeletons of dead rabbits. Neighbors looked at me and asked again if I were certain I heard the dog barking under there.

Then a little tan head appeared. He would not come out of the hole but soon enough of his body was under the hole to pick him up. He was dirty but safe. Yesterday he was still scared. Only went outside 3 times when he normally goes out a dozen or more times a day. However, he is safe.

I never liked that shed. Skunks often lived under it. Would have to trap the skunks to keep them away from the chickens. It was leaky so was not good for much. Boyfriend never would let me tear it down as he hated change. This was his childhood home. Talked to a neighbor yesterday who could use some extra money. Today he started tearing down that old shed. Never again will it trap a dog of mine.

Yes, I am very lucky to have such good neighbors. Many, but not all of the neighbors are his family. The house I live in was the original ranch house. They raised ponies of america. Had over 100 horses on the property at one time. His nephews built homes next door. His sister lives across the street.

I am so happy to have the dog back. Bogey has made winters in Montana bearable. I am not a snow person.

I'm glad you found your dog. I would have been hysterical. Glad the shed is going away. You don't need skunks either.

I don't know. I like skunks except when one of them decided to live under my house. Fixed its access hole it that took care of that. If your chicken house and run is so insecure it can't keep out skunks and possums, you are just asking for trouble. If it can't keep out a skunk it certainly can't keep out a raccoon. Raccoons can do far more damage in much less time than a skunk ever could.

I don't know. I like skunks except when one of them decided to live under my house. Fixed its access hole it that took care of that. If your chicken house and run is so insecure it can't keep out skunks and possums, you are just asking for trouble. If it can't keep out a skunk it certainly can't keep out a raccoon. Raccoons can do far more damage in much less time than a skunk ever could.
I have 5 dogs. De-skunking dogs at midnight isn't my favorite thing. :lol: So I don't like skunks in our yard.

Beats removing porcupine quills. What are you using to deskunk your dogs? I found the baking soda peroxide mix works pretty well.
Thankfully we haven't seen any porcupines around here. :fl

I do use the baking soda mixed with peroxide and dish soap. It works pretty well. Better than anything else we ever tried.

I don't totally dislike the smell of skunk. When it's faint, it smells like coffee to me. :)

I just had the fence put up last spring. Did not know there was a family of skunks living under the shed that is inside the fence. I found out quickly enough. Put out traps and caught them. However, I know in years past that skunks have lived under there and had babies. If another one got through the fence I am sure there would be yet another skunk family living under the shed to deal with. Our area seems to have an abundance of skunks. Neighbor trapped 37 one spring and summer. Tearing the shed down means no place for a skunk to hide.

Fortunately no one has ever seen a raccoon here. I have more worries about the owls that might decide to take a little dog and the bald eagles.

I had Premier1 electric poultry netting for a couple years. No 4 legged predator bothered my birds while that netting was up. Sadly a buck decided to rub his antlers on one of the posts holding up the netting. He ruined the netting by getting his antlers tangled. Took 5 Fish and Game officers to tackle him, saw off his antlers, and let him go free. The netting was a total loss. Am afraid it would just happen again if I bought more netting.

All this means that my chickens no longer get to free range the property. I only keep 3 hens now as I like them to have lots of room in their run.

Back
Top Bottom