How I helped support three near dead chicks when they arrived in mail

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MrsM74, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MrsM74

MrsM74 Chirping

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Washington State
    Last month I received my order from Murray. We had below 20 degree weather and it was even colder in Ohio, where they originated. I requested a heat pack, thinking this would help ensure their safe arrival. When I opened the box, four chicks appeared dead. Laying out, eyes looked fixed, legs stretched out, etc. A fifth was alive but was thrashing around, I suspected wry neck. Another of the five showed a little life but was pretty limp. The other three I was sure were probably dead. After I dipped the beaks of the other 25 chicks and put them in their brooder, I went ahead and used a syringe to get electrolyte water into the five chicks, even those I was pretty sure were dead. I also gave selenium and vitamins to the one that appeared to have wry neck. Then I made a tent out of a hot pad, put them along the inside sides, set it on medium, and had to leave to go to work all day. When I got home about six hours later, three of the four had revived and were up on their feet, making noises. The one that I thought had wry neck and was sure would survive, was dead. Two of the ones I thought were dead for sure, plus the one that was barely alive and limp survived. I stupidly sent them on to their new home shortly after that since they were part of a group order and belonged to somebody else. They did end up dying but I feel if I had kept them in the tent and kept their stress level down overnight, they probably would have been ok. Something to try for those of you who might receive a few near dead, or maybe even appearing dead, chicks in the mail.

Cyprus and sylviethecochin like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I always put some brown sugar in my chicks water for the first few days for some quick energy which many chicks need after days in a box. I also use a heat lamp for heat because I can control what temperature they are at. The one probably didn't have wry neck. Many chicks that die from chilling will have a bent back head. I have revived chicks too I though were dead, never count them out without a good going over.

Lacy Duckwing likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: