How I went from egg hobby to obsession

So, you are chickenless except for these two? Pretty cute having house chickens. I know.... a few people may not approve but I see a few folks on this site with house chickens and they seem to do pretty well. I have one or two of mine that I would let be house chickens. Princess Peaches because she is the cutest, sweetest chicken ever and Pearl Bailey cuz she is like the second sweetest ever and Peaches would need company and they are pals.View attachment 2636183View attachment 2636199View attachment 2636200View attachment 2636205View attachment 2636185View attachment 2636182
Miss Pearl Baily is the daughter of Rose, the broody hen that used to attack me. Actually Rose was an exceptional hen till I let her go broody... :hmm def my bad. I think the solution to my chicken problems (and horse problem and wanting ducks and geese problem and maybe goats and def a donkey AND a mule or two problem) is more land...
They are the cutest!!!
And yea... same here... the land and the animals!😩

Princess Peaches is a mix of Light Brahma (mom) and Smoothie (Ameraucana X Silkie)
She has the best personality. Funny cuz her dad is a bit of a butthead so he got fired to the pasture. Too bad cuz I enjoyed his babies but also wanted my breeding to go in the Brahma direction so it made the decision easier. My main roo is fabulous with the flock and that is exactly what I want. gets better every day.
Today I let my Light Brahma cockerel out with the main flock and he has been a fantastic #2 wingman so far. View attachment 2636703View attachment 2636704
And my 2nd- 2nd gen mealworms! Man, these are waaaay more fun than I thought they would be. Almost as fun as getting eggs. Speaking of eggs... how does that work with laying and inside chooks?
Such a gorgeous flock!

They look so beautiful!! Is princess peaches a D'uccle? My minnie and daisy are both D'uccles, definitely house friendly.. besides them i have Elsa, my bantam splash cochin, so all 3 of them are in the house together.. plus the two new baby chicks..
Here is the current setup... although i plan on building something taller and longer, like an aviary flight.
View attachment 2636449

Here is miss elsa:
View attachment 2636448

Here are the 3 looking for worm treats in the dust bath (kitty litter box w soil):
View attachment 2636454

And besties, Minnie and Daisy..

View attachment 2636461
This is so cute!💕❤️

Very nice neighbors to have :love and beautiful spot for sure!!! My nags would look good in that pasture lol (and my geese and donkey and mule and ducks he he he) I can't believe it took people so long to discover the Carolina's, they are stunning.

Did anyone notice the junglefowl freeloader snacking on papaya with my chooks?
My yard is starting to crawl with them again. So much for my boys chasing them off.
junglepunk.jpg

Very nice neighbors to have :love and beautiful spot for sure!!! My nags would look good in that pasture lol (and my geese and donkey and mule and ducks he he he) I can't believe it took people so long to discover the Carolina's, they are stunning.

Did anyone notice the junglefowl freeloader snacking on papaya with my chooks?
My yard is starting to crawl with them again. So much for my boys chasing them off.
View attachment 2637321
So are those wild.. or visiting from neighbors??

So are those wild.. or visiting from neighbors??
Wild. They normally live in the big mango trees next door but this particular batch's mom pawned them off on me, so I have about 12 teens in my orange tree... and semi thinking they are mine when it is convenient. It is cool when they leave me eggs but not when they mate my girls.

Wild. They normally live in the big mango trees next door but this particular batch's mom pawned them off on me, so I have about 12 teens in my orange tree... and semi thinking they are mine when it is convenient. It is cool when they leave me eggs but not when they mate my girls.
It would be hard for me... but i think id make some huli huli chicken with them... 🤷‍♀️ 🍗

It would be hard for me... but i think id make some huli huli chicken with them... 🤷‍♀️ 🍗
Good thinking! I mean heck, they have been eating my food and yard bugs right? I always just relocate them when I get tired of them eating all my food and causing trouble. IDK if I have the heart for it. Maybe just under survival circumstances.

Good thinking! I mean heck, they have been eating my food and yard bugs right? I always just relocate them when I get tired of them eating all my food and causing trouble. IDK if I have the heart for it. Maybe just under survival circumstances.
Id keep the girls.. maybe have someone who knows HOW (properly) to process them help me with the males. We are considering getting quail.. my daughter is only 8, and shes like.. mommy, youre going to have to learn to cook them without crying 😂 it is funny that we haven't eaten as much meat since we got them.. wasn't intentional. Maybe because we have so many eggs!

Back
Top Bottom