How is your flock today?

Pics
If you notice on the photo of the Barred Holland processed cockerel, black tiny pin feathers. I would get a white roo for the meat bird daddy, if that is your only purpose.

@Parront I would breed back for curiosity to see what happens and yes even the undesirable ones would end up being tasty! :)

That is why I am wanting to find some New Hampshire birds for the dual purpose of eggs and meat when it is time.

I am not a big fan of the broiler breeds who grow super fast for the purpose of just meat. IMO, they seem to have way to many problems when a person tries to raise a bunch of them at once and a whole lot of work at once on butcher day if you are not set up for it.

I would like to be able to pull a bird from our flock from time to time for BBQ. I like to keep them live and healthy right up to starting the BBQ over having them in the freezer for a few months first. But I guess that is just me.:)

@Parront I would breed back for curiosity to see what happens and yes even the undesirable ones would end up being tasty! :)

That is why I am wanting to find some New Hampshire birds for the dual purpose of eggs and meat when it is time.

I am not a big fan of the broiler breeds who grow super fast for the purpose of just meat. IMO, they seem to have way to many problems when a person tries to raise a bunch of them at once and a whole lot of work at once on butcher day if you are not set up for it.

I would like to be able to pull a bird from our flock from time to time for BBQ. I like to keep them live and healthy right up to starting the BBQ over having them in the freezer for a few months first. But I guess that is just me.:)
That would be nice, if the birds would all just stay perfect BBQ age of 10-12 weeks their whole life. Your 7 month old guy would need to be pressure cooked or baked at a low temp like ~250 for a few hours to be tender. The BBQ birds in the store are only 6-8 weeks old. I raised a few before -- in batches of 15 or so -- and they were very good eating at 6 weeks BBQ age. About 3-4 pounds, bigger than the 2 pounder in my photo above. By 10-12 weeks old they were 10 pounds, fantastic roasted like a small turkey, tasted better to me than turkey. They have their place. I am planning to get some of the red "Jackies" fromthe Freedom Ranger hatchery one of these days to try. And maybe breed one to this NN girl I got from @BlueBaby
Here she is with the Barred Holland layers:
IMG_5570.JPG

Here is an interesting link that helps explain more about the Isa Brown History. I agree it would be interesting , this is why I would like to try an incubate a few of their fertilized eggs to see what type of chicks come from them? :confused: Maybe I need a pure RR red and or whit rooster first, instead of old Barn Yard Chewy! LOL:gig

https://www.chickensandmore.com/isa-brown/

I just was reading the under the health issues that those girl's can have.

I just was reading the under the health issues that those girl's can have.
Yes the Isa Brown girls have their reproductive issues and I was fortunate enough to get only one out of our four Isa hens. But I have been keeping a close eye on her and she has survived two soft broken egg issues and still keeps popping out good eggs, So time will tell.:)

After these Isa Brown girls are gone, I would like to be set up with a more sold duel purpose chook, like New Hampshire's, I just like everything I have been reading about them. :)

@416bigbore If Chewey get's to be too much for you, you can give him a bath in one of these:

@BlueBaby That is too :gig! Looks like something I would build, only thing I would have done different is used the dryer instead of the washing machine. That way as Chewy was being plucked, I would have the option of turning on the dryer and cooking him at the same time!

Then if I had the dryer setting on top of a few cement blocks, I could have a small hardwood fire built underneath and have myself a fine smoked Chicken when it was all said and done with. :gig:lau

@BlueBaby All in all Chewy is doing ok, he is just in the learning curve stage of things. Rule #1 and most important of all the rules......... NEVER bite the hand that feeds you!

The other morning when I was leaning over to set their dish of FF down on the ground, Chewy ran into the back of my hand as he jumped at it. Chewy had his Hackles up as he jumped at my hand so he must have meant business, Chewy just learned rule #1! :gig

@BlueBaby All in all Chewy is doing ok, he is just in the learning curve stage of things. Rule #1 and most important of all the rules......... NEVER bite the hand that feeds you!

The other morning when I was leaning over to set their dish of FF down on the ground, Chewy ran into the back of my hand as he jumped at it. Chewy had his Hackles up as he jumped at my hand so he must have meant business, Chewy just learned rule #1! :gig

That's true.

A situation happened here in the house a couple of day's ago. My DH knocked over a box of envelope's off a shelf that was near where I happened to be sitting. I managed to reach out and grab it before it could hit the floor. He was amazed at how quick my reflexes still were at my age. I think that could have possibly been developed by having boy's in my flock. Even though the boy's that I do keep walk away from me and don't attack, I still keep a watch on them out of my side vision.

That's true.

A situation happened here in the house a couple of day's ago. My DH knocked over a box of envelope's off a shelf that was near where I happened to be sitting. I managed to reach out and grab it before it could hit the floor. He was amazed at how quick my reflexes still were at my age. I think that could have possibly been developed by having boy's in my flock. Even though the boy's that I do keep walk away from me and don't attack, I still keep a watch on them out of my side vision.
I whole heartedly agree and despise any type of animal miss treatment. Sometimes it takes a little something to get their attention over culling them from the flock first. Then everyone LIVED happily ever after ! LOL :gig

I also have raised hogs....... and that is one animal you don't want to grab at you. I was very fortunate to have very mellow sow's during farrowing. :)

Back
Top Bottom