how its made... wow!

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
i was watching how its made and guess what? Chickens! well actually hatchery but it showed you how theyturn the eggs, deside if the chick is a boy or girl, and ship them off. but i didnt think it looked very fun for those little chicks! you should have seen it! they were throwing the chicks around LITTERALY! and they would throw them down shoots to another ramp that throws them back and forth! it didnt look very fun for those baby chicks but i wonder how many die in that proces? oh and i learned something! on a new born babychick if the tip of the wing feathers are uneven then it is a girl and if they are all even it is a boy.

We watched that last night too! I think the wing thing only applies to certain breeds though but I am not sure about that. Hubby was laughing at me though because Alex and I kept saying "Poor chickie". I asked hubby if I could have their incubator- he said NOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOL Darn it all
gig.gif

On some birds the feathers will show a short or long feathers. I tried that too and Amera's don't do that! :eek:)
Did you also notice that they give the eggs shots so the chicks don't need to? Cant imagine how the eggs don't leak after that!!!
In the wild, chicks do not get treated well, sorta like newborn babies, believe it or not, they aren't as fragile as we make them out to be. Imagine slinging one on your back for hours while you work- after birth even!!!! How many big bro and sisters have held baby up by the head, foot or sat on it!!!!!!!!!!!! omg, the chicks are resillent. The only reason we would notice the ill or mishandled chicks is that we only get 100 or a lot less. People with 100 chicks have no idea is one is eggbound, crop is sour until they die. Or that everyone of the other chicks picked on one, you would find it when you cleaned out.
That is one reason "we" don't work for the poultry industry!
Have a good day and yes, it seems rough handling, and far worse happens on culling day. (I hope to never meet anyone that has done something like you hear about!)
~kel

"Dirty Jobs" has waaaaayyy more personality than "How It's Made". Doesn't hurt that the host is easy on the eyes, too.

You can find parts of that DJ episode on youtube.com.

I've seen the How It's Made and Dirty Jobs episodes. Both are great.
I didn't find either too violent on the chicks.

So you girls like Mike eh? He is a cool dude. He's sarcastic and down to
Earth too. I hope his show goes on for a few more years.

I saw the How Its Made the other night too! I was like "Dad come here! They're showing how they ship chicks!"
lol.png
It was interesting. Does anyone happen to know what breeds you can "feather sex"? I was hoping I would be able to do that when I go pick up my chicks from a nearby farm
hmm.png

Quote:
Heck of a way to impress the girls! LOL

I like both shows, but Mike Rowe is easy on the eyes. He was an opra star...I love to see the out takes of that show, what a hoot!
The other one I enjoy watching is Ben ___, he drives the Taxi. He is a long tall glass of water....Ok, enough, I'll stop swooning!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom