How large do quail actually grow?

AimsChickies

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
SW Florida
I am looking to start with some quail as meat birds for my family. I was thinking about either Jumbo Coturnix or Texas A&M. Can anyone tell me how large their quail grow? Or maybe a trusted source of stock that yields large birds to get eggs from? Thanks for the input!

They are said to get to about a pound if you get the Jumbos. That is coturnix. If you want eggs just pm me.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have an auction ending tonight on the auction part. I'm in southern Illinois, and my hubby says I'm done hatching for the year, so if I don't get any bids, would you be interested in getting them for an even lower price?

Quote:
I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT ALONG WITH PROOF OF LIFE IN A PIC...

Without a thumb on the back of the scale, eh?
wink.png

Not saying Robo would do that, of course. Just having a little fun.
wink.png

Quote:
I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT ALONG WITH PROOF OF LIFE IN A PIC...

Theoretically they are supposed to get up to 16 ounces for jumbos, but the biggest one I've seen (in pictures) was a little over 14 ounces. There is a strain of bobwhite (think it's the Georgia Giant?) that is supposed to be over 2 pounds, though bobs take a lot longer to grow than coturnix.

Thanks for the replies guys. I would love bigger, but i'm going for quick turn around to so the coturnix seem like a good bet. Does anyone breed texas A&M, any input on those?

Quote:
A pound ??

It is amazing how many quail keepers stretch their weight .

In reality it is just a wishful thinking....

smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Get both, then decide which you like better. Texas A&M are easier to process (white plumage).

Do not believe any claims as for their size (1lb or over)

If you can get most of them to 14 oz live weight you'll do great.

2 birds per hungry person is enough, 1 for those less hungry.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom