How large do quail actually grow?

Quote:
I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT ALONG WITH PROOF OF LIFE IN A PIC...

Theoretically they are supposed to get up to 16 ounces for jumbos, but the biggest one I've seen (in pictures) was a little over 14 ounces. There is a strain of bobwhite (think it's the Georgia Giant?) that is supposed to be over 2 pounds, though bobs take a lot longer to grow than coturnix.

BUTLERS ARE THE LARGEST BOB STRAIN AND CAN (RARELY) GO UPWARDS TO 32 OZ, THO VERY FEW EVER MAKE THESE MAMMOTH PROPORTIONS AND WHEN THEY DO IT TAKES AT LEAST 12 MOS MAYBE LONGER

Quote:
I can't speak for anybody's else, mine last batch was about 12 oz average at 8 weeks, you need to keep them longer for extra 1 or 2 oz more, but I believe it is not worth it (from the economical point of view) since they eat and eat and do not seem to gain much after 8 weeks.

My Texas A&M s come from Lake Cumberland hatchery, they are good quality birds and hatch rate was excellent.

I am trying to breed only the largest, now I am at second generation which I cull heavily.

Just to share,

My cortunix weigh 300-330gram live in 5week and usually will reach 350-400gram in 8week, there are few that really big that I can hardly grab it with 1 hand, may be overweight. I'm from Malaysia, raising quail 5000-6000 birds/month for meat, usually slaughter them after 4th week. I have about 1k of parent-stock to produce eggs for DOC, 500-600eggs/day, incubate 400-450/day, hatching rate around 45-50% using incubator I made myself, 2300eggs/incubator, I made 5 incubator and 1 hatcher.

I started this quail farming in feb last year with zero knowledge. I would like to thank to all you guys for valuable information I got ffom all your posting, it help me a lots. I still need to work on my incubator, I think it should be around 60-70% hatch rate

Back
Top Bottom