How large?

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
How large should I make a introduction cage for 9 pullets?

Theyre currently 6 weeks old and at the 8-9 week planning on starting the introduction process. Theyre all becoming escape artists in the brooder in my garage. Plus theyre outgrowing the brooding tub I had borrowed (100g+/- tarter stock tank).

Side note they birds came from a hatchery from a local big box feed store and have not shown any signs of disease.

Thanks all!

I can possibly get away with 4x5 but it'll be tight as my existing run is only 10x10.

How many adults do you already have?

Each adult chicken should have a minimum of 10 square feet in the run and integration is a situation that calls for extra space since chickens are territorial and can be quite vicious to intruders. :(

Last edited:
This does not answer your actual question but if I was in the shoes I think you’re in from reading your post, I would want to know that 6 week old pullets have a long time yet before they are of laying age. In my experience the flock never really accepts newcomers until they start laying. They will need spaces to hide and escape the other adults should any be inclined to be hostile. Which you could bet money at least one will.
People have varying opinions on space, and you will have to ask yourself what your goals are. Do you want a happy peaceful flock with low stress for the birds and for yourself? If you do then 10x10 for these pullets all by themselves would be pushing that. The minimum space requirement quoted often here are minimums for factory farms, many if not all are only able to stock so many birds together by buying debeaked chicks to avoid bloodbaths.
Good luck with your flock and I apologize for cluttering up your thread not answering your actual question! :oops:

1. How many adults do you already have?

Each adult chicken should have a minimum of 10 square feet in the run and integration is a situation that calls for extra space since chickens are territorial and can be quite vicious to intruders. :(
    I have 12 adults currently. Yes it is over the space limits but all birds from the start have lived in that space peacefully. I actually talked with a girl at a local feed store that has a ton of experience earlier today with chickens (her family has over 80) about a run extension idea and it was really worth it and she said she only had one customer return the netting. But it sounded it wasn't being used for its intended purpose but rather to contain their dogs. So between this forum and her help I might go with my extension idea as long as the money is there😁. That way they can grow side by side and get to know one another before they get Integrated together and I lock down the old coop so they're in one location that's more suited for the entire flock(meaning coop size). After that I'll just lock down my "old" coop and leave it there for say a broody hen when she hatches so she has a place to go and not be bothered by the others.

How many adults do you already have?

To add I also upgraded coop size. The first photo is our "old" coop that was 4x6. Didnt have a ton of money and needed to be erected fast. It worked and they lived peacefully and seemingly happily but wasn't user friendly. The new one is 6x8 and is much more designed with the myself in mind. That photo was from the other day and is now finally complete.

Attachments

• 20210102_172026.jpg
    20210102_172026.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210608_110142.jpg
    20210608_110142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
The new one is 6x8 and is much more designed with the myself in mind.

I like that board and batten siding. Designing for your convenience is a good idea that is often overlooked. If it's difficult and unpleasant to care for your chickens they won't give you joy.

Having the old, small coop around for when you need it is a good idea.

So, doing the numbers for 20 hens to keep them neat,

The Usual Guidelines say that for each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
So, for 20 hens:
  • 80 square feet in the coop. 8'x10' is the most practical because 7'x12' or 6'x14' require a lot of weird cuts.
  • 20 feet of roost
  • 200 square feet in the run. 10'x20', 12'x16' or 8'x25' as suits the land available.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 5 nest boxes.
From a behavioral standpoint, the larger the coop/run the less space an individual chicken needs because there is so much more overall space where it can get away from bullies and freely engage in such natural behaviors as perching, foraging, dust bathing, etc. without interference from other flock members. But increasing flock density still comes with problems in the areas of sanitation, over-grazing, and the like since an individual chicken still eats the same amount and produces the same amount of waste.

BTW, where, in general, are you located? If you're in a warm climate putting a roof and a windbreak on the existing run would turn it into an effective extension of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom