How large?

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
How large should I make a introduction cage for 9 pullets?

Theyre currently 6 weeks old and at the 8-9 week planning on starting the introduction process. Theyre all becoming escape artists in the brooder in my garage. Plus theyre outgrowing the brooding tub I had borrowed (100g+/- tarter stock tank).

Side note they birds came from a hatchery from a local big box feed store and have not shown any signs of disease.

Thanks all!

This does not answer your actual question but if I was in the shoes I think you’re in from reading your post, I would want to know that 6 week old pullets have a long time yet before they are of laying age. In my experience the flock never really accepts newcomers until they start laying. They will need spaces to hide and escape the other adults should any be inclined to be hostile. Which you could bet money at least one will.
People have varying opinions on space, and you will have to ask yourself what your goals are. Do you want a happy peaceful flock with low stress for the birds and for yourself? If you do then 10x10 for these pullets all by themselves would be pushing that. The minimum space requirement quoted often here are minimums for factory farms, many if not all are only able to stock so many birds together by buying debeaked chicks to avoid bloodbaths.
Good luck with your flock and I apologize for cluttering up your thread not answering your actual question! :oops:

And you don't think that wasn't considered in my plans? Again college background in wildlife sciences. You're grasping at straws, you can have a well ventilated coop and it still retain heat. I know because I know a few people that accomplished exactly that. To the point when it was 0 degrees outside he stepped in the coop and took his coat off. No moisture or stench.
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
Best of cLuck to you!

I can possibly get away with 4x5 but it'll be tight as my existing run is only 10x10.

How many adults do you already have?

Each adult chicken should have a minimum of 10 square feet in the run and integration is a situation that calls for extra space since chickens are territorial and can be quite vicious to intruders. :(

Last edited:
The coop is a tad on the small side for 21 birds when all said and done but not atrocious living conditions. Im literally just shy by about 8 inches of roost. And I have 6 nest boxes. I live in Chazy, NY pretty much country. Our average winter temps in January range from 10-20° and about 3 to 4 feet of snow total accumulated(sometimes more sometimes less...sometimes all at one time!). The first photo was after the first storm developed and hit out of nowhere so no time to prep. After it melted I actually put up tarps to get them to still go outside and worked like a charm. At first I wasn't going to keep the old coop but the damn thing is heavy so it got moved about 10 feet and that's where it's gonna stay 🤣. But im looking at a .15 joule solar charger and 82 foot long electric netting. Which will add approximately 420 square feet which is huge for my small plot of land which will be where the newbies will grow out. Again provided the money's there.

The coop is a tad on the small side for 21 birds when all said and done but not atrocious living conditions.
Way too small.....~2sqft per bird is factory farm spacing.
It might get atrocious once the winter storms come.
ChickenCabinFever is real and it can get ugly. BTDT.

I live in Chazy, NY
Welcome to BYC! @Driley62
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1623325216066.png

Back
Top Bottom