How large?

The coop is a tad on the small side for 21 birds when all said and done but not atrocious living conditions. Im literally just shy by about 8 inches of roost. And I have 6 nest boxes. I live in Chazy, NY pretty much country. Our average winter temps in January range from 10-20° and about 3 to 4 feet of snow total accumulated(sometimes more sometimes less...sometimes all at one time!). The first photo was after the first storm developed and hit out of nowhere so no time to prep. After it melted I actually put up tarps to get them to still go outside and worked like a charm. At first I wasn't going to keep the old coop but the damn thing is heavy so it got moved about 10 feet and that's where it's gonna stay 🤣. But im looking at a .15 joule solar charger and 82 foot long electric netting. Which will add approximately 420 square feet which is huge for my small plot of land which will be where the newbies will grow out. Again provided the money's there.

I have 100 feet of Premier1 electric netting and I LOVE it.

I wish I had known how easy electric netting is and how useful it is long ago.
Before I didn't know the reliability plus how much sun the solar chargers need or how much of a pain it would be to run a line off my home so I went with the fencing style method which cost a bunch. Thanks to a friend that acquired free wiring gave me some to outfit my existing run helped drive down the cost(built/established a flock during this pamdemic). Now that I'm looking into extending, I'm looking into the most effective/practical way possible.

Before I didn't know the reliability plus how much sun the solar chargers need or how much of a pain it would be to run a line off my home so I went with the fencing style method which cost a bunch. Thanks to a friend that acquired free wiring gave me some to outfit my existing run helped drive down the cost(built/established a flock during this pamdemic). Now that I'm looking into extending, I'm looking into the most effective/practical way possible.

Solar has it's limitations -- you'll need to bring the battery in to charge occasionally during short days or long cloudy periods (once a week for me this past winter at NC's latitude), -- but it's really useful.

Solar has it's limitations -- you'll need to bring the battery in to charge occasionally during short days or long cloudy periods (once a week for me this past winter at NC's latitude), -- but it's really useful.
I'm thinking during winter closing down the extension. Not 100% sure though

I don't have any experience with chickens in significant snow.
My birds last year when I opened the door took a step out, stopped dead then looked at me like, "wtf dude?" Like I was to blame 😂. Lay some hay down in the run either over the snow or shovel out most then cover and they're good to go. But thinking of square footage with the expansion that's alotta shoveling. 😐

My birds last year when I opened the door took a step out, stopped dead then looked at me like, "wtf dude?" Like I was to blame 😂. Lay some hay down in the run either over the snow or shovel out most then cover and they're good to go. But thinking of square footage with the expansion that's alotta shoveling. 😐

My ladies also hold me personally responsible for the weather.

The coop is a tad on the small side for 21 birds when all said and done but not atrocious living conditions.
Way too small.....~2sqft per bird is factory farm spacing.
It might get atrocious once the winter storms come.
ChickenCabinFever is real and it can get ugly. BTDT.

I live in Chazy, NY
Welcome to BYC! @Driley62
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1623325216066.png

Actually factory farm is 1sqft. Some are starting to move to 2sqft. You live in somewhat similar climate but I live farther north than you and it's pretty cold here, so I choose to keep their quarters somewhat tight to help them retain heat naturally rather than artificially. Last winter wasn't bad when it came to clean living conditions for my adults. As far as violence goes, there was no violence at all over the last year. They did have seemingly minor disputes a time or two but were as done as fast if not faster than it started. Having a limited college background in fisheries and wildlife sciences has helped me in quite a bit of the decisions I've made when it came to my research. But there is simply just some things I couldn't find or if I did was incredibly vague to the point that causes me to reach out.

Back
Top Bottom