How late in the season do you hatch till? Or do you never stop??

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
I was just wondering if there is a sensible time to stop hatching, and just get on with the business of raising all the chicks! (actually, my hubby wants to know when he can look forward to a chick-dust free garage again!!)

I was planning on hatching one more set this summer so all my summer time family visitorss could enjoy seeing a hatch, plus I am hoping to get a few more birds of a certain breed. My concern is the coming heat vs the heat lamp, and the ages of the chicks as summer turns to fall.

What do all you chronic hatchers do? Do you keep hatching no matter the season, or do you have a cut off date for hatching?

I have my last sets in, but thats because I have little room for all the birds I really want!! I shall be going at it big time next year though, and selling eggs, chicks and growers.

I'm done for the year. Too many traumas. I want to focus on the garden now. I still want chicks from a couple particular birds. If they are mature before winter I don't see the harm in it though.
Kimberly

This is a great question, I was going to ask the same thing. I am new to chicken farming/hobby and am incubating right now. I will subscribe (tag along) to this thread. And I think it is great that you say you have a chick or three to help someone get started. Me too, as soon as I hatch this batch! What a great idea! What breeds are you looking to raise?
Rhonda

this is my first year incubating, had 3 hatches so far and thought I was all done. Then today I saw my Mille Fleur d'Uccles mount one of full-sized Blue laced Wyandottes and thought to myself "what the hell would that offspring look like?!"
I'm going to try one more batch; maybe a dozen or so eggs (including some Wyandotte eggs).
big_smile.png

I just set my last hatch for the season last week...oh wait, I said that last batch! No really this is my last one for this season! My incubator has been running almost constant since the first part of March. I/it needs a break! lol I have hatched many chicks in the Fall in the past, not sure if I will do that this year.

Ah. I have got to wait until I get back from vacation in late July before I start my last batch of the season. I don't want any little ones in the colder months so I think I am going to stop in August and resume next spring. We will see!

Quote:
I am hoping
fl.gif
to buy some Blue/Black/Splash Jersey Giant eggs from a fellow BYC'er, if she is still selling by the time I can get my plans together for the summer. I just have to consider all our travel plans and the age of the chicks and hatch times, etc... I have a few already (Thank You Bobbi Porto!), but I would really like to get a few more so I will have just Jerseys next season- they are my passion!

What are you incubating?
smile.png

I have some Georgia Giant Bob-white eggs in right now & tomorrow will be 4 days past hatch, so the bator is finally going to be unplugged. I started hatching on January 23, & have had a total of 266 eggs incubated. WHEW, I'm done for a while.

I have chicks hatching as I type this. My first ever hatch was done on July 20, 2007. Those babies are the parents of the birds hatching now.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom