When do you turn the incubator off??

coastingangel

Songster
7 Years
I have incubated quite a few batches of eggs now but always struggle with when to call it done and turn off the incubator. Interested to know other perspectives on this and what others do. I have had chicks hatching for 3 days now and yes I am one of those people that open the incubator and remove the chicks that are dry and fluffy - not every time only once or twice a day. My incubator is an old multiplo one and manages to bring temperature and humidity back up pretty quickly.

These started hatching pretty much on time - I have a collection of bought eggs and some of my own. I have 2 roosters with about 80 hens running full time free range so not expecting great things from my own eggs but have a good selection of chicks hatched and sitting under the heat lamp. Hatching has slowed right down now but I like to give everyone a chance!

No - I did set them all at once but they were collected over a couple of days. I put in 150 eggs and thought it would take too long to candle them all (be out of the incubator too long) so just thought I would see what happened.

I wouldn't know where to start with calibrating the incubator, it is from about the 1920's! I have added a digital temp/humidity gauge - it seems to hold pretty steady once it gets to the correct temp and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom