How likely will Coturnix become extinct?

What a terrible thought! With how popular chickens/quail keep getting as times get more and more bleak, I really don't think it's possible. Unless something like what someone mentioned above happens, like some variety of avian flu that targets game birds or something.

I’m guessing the concern comes from the fact that in their domesticated form they generally cannot go broody or otherwise take care of themselves in the wild?

Supposing a calamity dries up the worldwide supply of affordable, mass produced, feed, there are still wild Corturnix that will likely live on even if all the domestic ones were to hypothetically die off.

I’m guessing the concern comes from the fact that in their domesticated form they generally cannot go broody or otherwise take care of themselves in the wild?

Supposing a calamity dries up the worldwide supply of affordable, mass produced, feed, there are still wild Corturnix that will likely live on even if all the domestic ones were to hypothetically die off.
That's a good point. But if that were to happen, people could always use broody chickens to hatch them, worst comes to worst. I had a pheonix hatch and raise one, and I'm sure smaller birds like serama, silkies and cochins could do a better job due to their typical broody behavior

Back
Top Bottom