How likely will Coturnix become extinct?

I’m guessing the concern comes from the fact that in their domesticated form they generally cannot go broody or otherwise take care of themselves in the wild?
I've had at least two hens go broody in every hatch I've ever had (I don't always let them try and have to break them out of it). This will be my third natural hatch coming up in a couple weeks. So I don't get why people say they don't go broody.

I've had at least two hens go broody in every hatch I've ever had (I don't always let them try and have to break them out of it). This will be my third natural hatch coming up in a couple weeks. So I don't get why people say they don't go broody.
Probably because most people cram their quail in wire bottom cages where they physically can't go broody then they say " WhY aRe ThEy NoT gOiNg BrOodY?" 🙄

Do they raise the chicks?
IMG_5683.jpeg

So far, yes. Mama makes noises I never hear any other time of the year, can call her chicks to her, and tidbits for them. At over a week old, they're still snuggling under her at night. This is the way it was for the last hatch, too. Hoping it goes this way for the next one!

Your the exception!....like with any animal, there are always exceptions. The fact that your's are consistently broody, is probably due to genetics....I mean, if you keep hens from the broody's year after year, their instincts to be broody will be greater than those that haven't or those that may never go broody.

Your the exception!....like with any animal, there are always exceptions. The fact that your's are consistently broody, is probably due to genetics....I mean, if you keep hens from the broody's year after year, their instincts to be broody will be greater than those that haven't or those that may never go broody.
None of my hens are related—I keep no males, so each hatch starts when I swap a clutch of empties for fertile eggs I buy online. I would bet it's environmental—big space, lots of cover, no males, and I basically leave them be except to clean up and sneak a camera in there once in a while.

None of my hens are related—I keep no males, so each hatch starts when I swap a clutch of empties for fertile eggs I buy online. I would bet it's environmental—big space, lots of cover, no males, and I basically leave them be except to clean up and sneak a camera in there once in a while.
Ok, did not know that's how your doing it! How often do you switch out the hens?

Ok, did not know that's how your doing it! How often do you switch out the hens?
Switch them out? Since I'm in it for "looking pets" and eating eggs, I just let them go as long as they can. They nest anywhere they want and I just screen them off with garden netting so they don't go chasing the other girls once they get to the territorial phase. My oldest hen is over 5 years, but she's my oldest by a year—last of my first hatch. My oldest broody is over 3 (my dear Wilma).

Back
Top Bottom