How long are eggs viable after being stuck in the mail?

CollieflowersBark

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2021
So, I ordered a dozen eggs on July 5th, and the seller wasn't able to ship them out until late in the afternoon on the 6th. Overnight mail said that they were supposed to be at my house between the 7th and 8th, but I am still seeing them as "Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility" so I'm starting to worry that they are lost in transit or will be seriously delayed. I don't know how long they will last in the mail before I have a bunch of dud eggs delivered to my door. :(

Generally an egg has about ten days from the day it was laid before it starts to lose viability.

However, going through the mail can ruin an egg's viability in more ways than that. Rough handling, being left in the heat, etc, can also ruin an egg.

So time-wise as long as the eggs that were sent were fresh, you're fine until they get over ten days old. But shipped eggs are always a gamble because of all the other factors that can also result in a loss of viability.

Generally an egg has about ten days from the day it was laid before it starts to lose viability.

However, going through the mail can ruin an egg's viability in more ways than that. Rough handling, being left in the heat, etc, can also ruin an egg.

So time-wise as long as the eggs that were sent were fresh, you're fine until they get over ten days old. But shipped eggs are always a gamble because of all the other factors that can also result in a loss of viability.
I'm definitely worried about rough handling. I used to work for a shipping company and there is a very clear visible difference between boxes that have been through the mail overnight vs a week. The overnight boxes are always pretty and clean with no bent corners, while the slower shipments are filthy and crushed. That's why I chose overnight for my eggs, and it looks like I'm sadly not getting it.

Fill out the lost mail forms on the usps website, I had eggs lost in transit for 9 days, they arrived on my porch by 7 am the day after I sent the form.
Thanks for the advice. I submitted a form on the website. I can't imagine that it will be here tomorrow, since it is Sunday, but hopefully Monday I will either get the package or some answers. Did any of your survive the 9 day transit?

Thanks for the advice. I submitted a form on the website. I can't imagine that it will be here tomorrow, since it is Sunday, but hopefully Monday I will either get the package or some answers. Did any of your survive the 9 day transit?
I received 36 celadon Coturnix quail eggs, they were in transit for 9 days, when they arrived I put them right into the incubator that day and I left the turner off for 48 hours to let the air cells rest or repair or whatever the breeder had suggested. 18 days later, 19 healthy chicks hatched. Don’t lose hope!

I received 36 celadon Coturnix quail eggs, they were in transit for 9 days, when they arrived I put them right into the incubator that day and I left the turner off for 48 hours to let the air cells rest or repair or whatever the breeder had suggested. 18 days later, 19 healthy chicks hatched. Don’t lose hope!
I think the form worked! I still don't have eggs, but the tracking has updated and now I know where they are. They just left a distribution facility about an hour or two away from me.

Eggs finally arrived today. I didn't candle or anything, I just popped them all right into the incubator as fast as I could. I will candle in a few days after they have some time warming up in there.

My only concern is that even though all 12 were intact, a bunch of them were STICKY. Like, the bubble wrap around each egg was sticking to them and leaving a faint imprint, and I could feel sticky on my fingers. I can't see any weeping or weird colors. They just FEEL sticky. But it was a dry sticky, if that makes any sense. Like they had something spilled on them and it had dried up a bit.

I inspected each and every egg and they all seemed blemish-free, but the stickiness was a little unnerving.

Last edited:
Usually sticky eggs are from one that's bleeding from a hairline crack. You might be able to see the crack once the eggs start to develope.
I've had eggs arrive 2.5 weeks overdue and put them in to have a good hatch. Don't give up!

Back
Top Bottom