How long are new hatchling ok without the hen showing them what to eat and drink?

jamiehadlock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
Goshen, Utah
She is still sitting and she has three hatchling a day or two old. I more hatched today under another broody hen. Do I have to get them out and put them in a box with starter feed and a waterer? How long are they ok?

welcome-byc.gif

Hens usually wait 2ish days after the first chick hatches to leave the nest. If all the eggs were set at the same time, pretty much anyone who is going to hatch has done so by then. Chicks "eat" the entire egg yolk just before they hatch and are good for 72 hours before they need to eat or drink.

Thanks for the info @donrae. We had to bring the chicks inside. Mom decided she was done and left them in the cold. Had to bring one back from the brink of death by holding her closer to the lamp and rubbing her to warm her back up. We have 6 healthy babies that are eating starter feed. Haven't seen them drinking but we raised 16 purchased chicks in March and didn't lose one! Now what do I do about the poo on their bums??

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @donrae . We had to bring the chicks inside. Mom decided she was done and left them in the cold. Had to bring one back from the brink of death by holding her closer to the lamp and rubbing her to warm her back up. We have 6 healthy babies that are eating starter feed. Haven't seen them drinking but we raised 16 purchased chicks in March and didn't lose one! Now what do I do about the poo on theither bums??

Try a bit of warm water on a paper towel. Then just a small dab of vaseline. I would check the vents multiple times a day for a few days, or until they work through pasty butt. Chicks who get stuck in the shell are especially prone to this issue.

@I never even saw the shells afterwards since the hen never left the nest. I watched the guy at IFA pull the poo right off but they were a couple of week-old chicks. Mine are only about a week old. I will try the wet paper towel. One has something that almost looks almost like dried umbilical cord but its down by her bum so it has to be just dark poo, right?

I never even saw the shells afterwards since the hen never left the nest. I watched the guy at IFA pull the poo right off but they were a couple of week-old chicks. Mine are only about a week old. I will try the wet paper towel. One has something that almost looks almost like dried umbilical cord but its down by her bum so it has to be just dark poo, right?
You can sometimes see part of the dried umbilicus, don't try to pull it off.....look closely so you can determine the difference between the vent and the umbilicus.

Ok. So I checked six bums and 3 were clean. 3 were poopie so I gently cleaned with a warm wet cotton ball. It was poo for sure and ones vent was completely capped off. When I finished cleaning them they were able to poo again (which they immediately did). I've been checking to make sure they don't get plugged up.

Ok. So I checked six bums and 3 were clean. 3 were poopie so I gently cleaned with a warm wet cotton ball. It was poo for sure and ones vent was completely capped off. When I finished cleaning them they were able to poo again (which they immediately did). I've been checking to make sure they don't get plugged up.
It usually clears up pretty quick...butt(haha) if it doesn't, a bit of vaseline lightly dabbed on the down around the vent prevents the poop from sticking.

Sounds very good. Sometimes this can take a few days to clear this up, so the vaseline can help to roll off dried droppings, and irritate the area less. Be watchful of cotton though, as occasionally fine strands can be shed. Little ones notice everything and experiment pecking at everything.

Back
Top Bottom