how long before chickens forget previous home?

sweet koko

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
Because of unexpected events in our lives we have to give up our flock of 8 hens and a rooster.
Our chickens were completely free range entire day and the new home we found has
portable trailers. I know the person and they treat their chickens very well with organic food and loads of garden scraps, however they are in a large cage. In the winter they are housed in a large
tunnel that is used to grow vegetables in the spring and fall. We are heartbroken and wonder how the chickens will adapt and how long before they forget their completely free range life?
They will be transported during the night to the new place.

I'm sorry you can't keep them. I think they'll be ok. We raised some Orpingtons (my Mum wanted two) and we ended up with four pullets (the boys went back to the breeder) so we kept two. They were free range until they started getting naughty and visiting the neighbours. Why I'm not sure as it's a concrete jungle! We tried to pen them in with a fence but they were still managing to escape. So they had to be moved into our big coop and run with our light breeds and bantams. They adapted very well to being confined.

A little while later someone must've dumped four chickens and they were hanging around our coop and run, retiring into the bush at night. When one disappeared and we couldn't discover whose they were I put them in with our girls. They slotted in like they'd always been there despite the fact that they were 'free' before that. We managed to find them a rural home as we already have more birds than we should. I think as long as they are well fed they are happy chickens.

I feel for you. I'm also one who has deep concern for her chickens and also for the few I've had to rehome.

I've also taken in several adopted hens over the years, and they did seem to adjust to their new life within a matter of a few weeks, although they probably had or have it better in their present home than where they all came from.

I have one adopted hen who still yammers to get out of the run to free range, and when I let everyone out, she's at the very head of the pack, launching like a torpedo for the wide open spaces tooting like a locomotive.

She's an EE and free-ranged much more often at her previous home. Indeed, she was the lucky lone survivor of a predator attack. I have many predators and my chickens only get to free range when I'm hanging around.

So yes, I believe chickens do have memories of their previous homes. But they do adapt to their present circumstances.

Youngsters take about 3 days. Adults, especially hens that have raised chicks can take much longer and may never forget previous arrangements. I have hens that can remember good past nesting locations even after 3 years of having to nest somewhere else. It may be longer but not tested.

Enriching the environment can get birds past the move. Anything that gets their brain processing will give them a solid push to build new memories.

Because of unexpected events in our lives we have to give up our flock of 8 hens and a rooster.
Our chickens were completely free range entire day and the new home we found has
portable trailers. I know the person and they treat their chickens very well with organic food and loads of garden scraps, however they are in a large cage. In the winter they are housed in a large
tunnel that is used to grow vegetables in the spring and fall. We are heartbroken and wonder how the chickens will adapt and how long before they forget their completely free range life?
They will be transported during the night to the new place.
:hugs

Sorry you had to give up your flock. The fact you got them a good home, is wonderful! While they may never forget their previous home, usually within a couple weeks they will adapt to their new one, and do fine.

They might 'forget' their previous home.
Tho they probably won't like being more confined, but they will adapt...probably faster than you will, sorry you have to give them up.

Back
Top Bottom