How long before chicks can be moved outside

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined. :frow

In my opinion you have two distinct issues. One is whether they can handle the weather out there. How old are they and where are you so we know climate? What are your coldest temperatures expected for the next several days and nights?

The other is integration and is more complicated. Until they mature enough to force their way into the pecking order immature chickens are always lower in the pecking order than more mature chickens and some are really quick to enforce their pecking order rights, especially if their personal space is violated. Many of us integrate really young chicks regularly without many serious issues, there are techniques to handle that. Which techniques might work for you will depend a lot on how much room you have in the coop and outside, and when that room is available. Again, weather could play a part.

So how many chicks do you have, I'm a bit confused on that, and how old are they. How many adults do you have? Where are you? How big, in feet or meters, is your coop and your run. Photos inside the coop and a general one outside showing how the coop and run is set up could be very valuable.

It's very normal for the hens to be curious about the chicks and peck at them.

Since the chicks are still fairly small NOW is the best time to integrate them IMO. I had mine fully moved in by 5 1/2 weeks but they'd been growing up alongside the hens since 2 days old. In your case I would suggest you start out by giving them a completely safe space in the coop or run, and then after days/weeks (depending on hen reaction) you can start giving the chicks access to the main part of the chicken area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ - This is my brooder page but towards the bottom I have some notes on integration, as well as a diagram of how I set up the run space to give the chicks a lot of safe spaces.

It's very normal for the hens to be curious about the chicks and peck at them.

Since the chicks are still fairly small NOW is the best time to integrate them IMO. I had mine fully moved in by 5 1/2 weeks but they'd been growing up alongside the hens since 2 days old. In your case I would suggest you start out by giving them a completely safe space in the coop or run, and then after days/weeks (depending on hen reaction) you can start giving the chicks access to the main part of the chicken area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ - This is my brooder page but towards the bottom I have some notes on integration, as well as a diagram of how I set up the run space to give the chicks a lot of safe spaces.
Hi Rosemary, this is off topic. But I glanced at your "My coop" link and noticed how you used black jack coating to "chicken proof" the floor and lower walls of your new coop. I was wondering if you would share a little about that? First it's black jack silicone based roof coating? And secondly what are your thoughts on it, has it worked out well for you?
TIA and sorry for going off topic
Tom

Hi Rosemary, this is off topic. But I glanced at your "My coop" link and noticed how you used black jack coating to "chicken proof" the floor and lower walls of your new coop. I was wondering if you would share a little about that? First it's black jack silicone based roof coating? And secondly what are your thoughts on it, has it worked out well for you?

The product I used specifically is Black Jack #57 (they make quite a lot of different products) which is a rubberized waterproof asphalt? Very low fumes and fairly easy to apply but has a longer dry time than paint. There's a technical data sheet here for more info: https://blackjackcoatings.com/products/black-jack-rubr-coat-57

So far it's worked well though I can't testify to how well it holds up over time as I got the new coop this spring. Other members on here have said theirs is going strong after years of use, which is part of the reason I decided to try it. I've used a rake and shovel on it and the chickens scratch around too and so far no signs of scratching or wear. For the cost and ease of use it seems to be a good product.

The product I used specifically is Black Jack #57 (they make quite a lot of different products) which is a rubberized waterproof asphalt? Very low fumes and fairly easy to apply but has a longer dry time than paint. There's a technical data sheet here for more info: https://blackjackcoatings.com/products/black-jack-rubr-coat-57

So far it's worked well though I can't testify to how well it holds up over time as I got the new coop this spring. Other members on here have said theirs is going strong after years of use, which is part of the reason I decided to try it. I've used a rake and shovel on it and the chickens scratch around too and so far no signs of scratching or wear. For the cost and ease of use it seems to be a good product.
Thanks bunches for sharing your thoughts on the product, I was looking for a product to "chicken proof" a coop myself and that's actually the 1st I had heard of it.:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom