How long before my molting chicken lays?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lucymarcysally, Nov 1, 2015.

1. lucymarcysally

lucymarcysally Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2015
    Kansas
    I have a 7 month old Wyandotte that appears to be finally finishing her molt; she is starting to get neck feathers back. Marcy has been molting for about a month and she is only 7 months old. Most of her neck feathers have changed from being pin feathers to regular feathers and it looks like she might be getting some tail feathers back. She still isn't laying though. How much longer will it be before she starts laying again?

Thanks,
    Susan

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She'll probably start laying again within a month, unless she stops because of decreasing daylight hours.

3. lucymarcysally

Jul 24, 2015
    Kansas
    Thank you

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

About 1/2 of my flock of 10 is at some stage of their molt so I know how long that wait for it to be over can seem. If you haven't already done so, you can help ease the stress of molting by giving your girl some extra protein and some vitamins in her water. That won't make her lay any faster but molting is a stressful time and the extra steps can help keep them healthier and happier going through the molting process.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

1 person likes this.
  9. lucymarcysally

Jul 24, 2015
    Kansas
    I read about a few "treats" to try while molting like yogurt and even dry cat food. So I tried them both and the girls love the "treats" especially the yogurt :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by