How long before my molting chicken lays?

lucymarcysally

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2015
Kansas
I have a 7 month old Wyandotte that appears to be finally finishing her molt; she is starting to get neck feathers back. Marcy has been molting for about a month and she is only 7 months old. Most of her neck feathers have changed from being pin feathers to regular feathers and it looks like she might be getting some tail feathers back. She still isn't laying though. How much longer will it be before she starts laying again?

Thanks,
Susan

She'll probably start laying again within a month, unless she stops because of decreasing daylight hours.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

About 1/2 of my flock of 10 is at some stage of their molt so I know how long that wait for it to be over can seem. If you haven't already done so, you can help ease the stress of molting by giving your girl some extra protein and some vitamins in her water. That won't make her lay any faster but molting is a stressful time and the extra steps can help keep them healthier and happier going through the molting process.

I read about a few "treats" to try while molting like yogurt and even dry cat food. So I tried them both and the girls love the "treats" especially the yogurt :)

Back
Top Bottom