How long before pecked feathers will grow back or heal?

I've had JamJam in her own enclosure 1 week and her feathers are looking good...it's interesting to watch them come up through the shaft part? She lost them from partial picking of others and she went into her Moulting sooner than usual..this is a picture of the feathers coming out the ends of the pins..everyday I see more of the feather showing...she's a very happy girl ... .

I've had JamJam in her own enclosure 1 week and her feathers are looking good...it's interesting to watch them come up through the shaft part? She lost them from partial picking of others and she went into her Moulting sooner than usual..this is a picture of the feathers coming out the ends of the pins..everyday I see more of the feather showing...she's a very happy girl ... .

She has completely filled in now, June 29...looking good..was.moulting and she stays away from the other hens that dominated her. It's all good!

Mable, one of our chickens, is missing feathers where her tail begins. It has looked the same for months and months. The shafts are still there and she isn't injured. Should we just wait until she molts?

Quote:

Will that come out in their first molt?

I looked real close last night, and saw a few little feathers starting. How long do I let these grow before trying to put her back with the flock?

Marty
Did you ever get an answer to your question about reintroducing or waiting for feathers to grow back?. I have a similar situation and would like to know.

It is really dependent on the damage to the plumage and skin tissue. I had a couple hens who were torn by a rough rooster and other hens started picking them. We immediately separated them and covered the area with saddle so it wasn't easily seen and they showed new plumage in 2-4 weeks. Other more severe cases can take until they go through a moult cycle.
Where do you get chicken saddles? Reasonably priced would be nice.

It is really dependent on the damage to the plumage and skin tissue. I had a couple hens who were torn by a rough rooster and other hens started picking them. We immediately separated them and covered the area with saddle so it wasn't easily seen and they showed new plumage in 2-4 weeks. Other more severe cases can take until they go through a moult cycle.
What is "saddle" please?

Back
Top Bottom