1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long before refrigerating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cochin44, Apr 13, 2009.

1. cochin44

cochin44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    St. Amant, LA
    How long can you leave eggs at room temp. before refrigerating? I find the yolks are much better looking and tasting.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    without washing the bloom will protect them for an easy couple weeks...folks in the rest of the world don't refrigerate...I don't blink at a week...if your days are getting to 90's and such maybe not so much but all really depends on what you feel okay with. The frigerated kind are months old

There is probably a thread about this somewhere...of course it probably says I am wrong [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The old folks around here never refrigerated eggs. And I know for sure they don't in Europe. They keep longer if refrigerated, but they keep fine for a while at room temp. Store bought eggs are around 6 weeks old at exp. date, I understand.

Mother Earth News did quite a study on storing eggs a while back.

And some people leave eggs at room temp for a week before hard boiling, to age them a little, to make them easier to peel.

Heck, people have hatched eggs that had been in the refrigerator for a week, maybe longer.

If you usually eat them within a week or two, I see no problem leaving them out all the time.

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Growing up
    we ate eggs from the frig. that were 6 weeks old.
    and the 8 week old were checked and used for baking.
    nothing was wasted..and the shells were chopped and fed to the hens..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by