How long before they're not afraid to come out?

Candimom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
Hey guys! Lucy and Ethel just arrived today at the Coopacabana! lol I'm excited, but they're not. I was wondering how long it takes before they're not afraid to come out of the coop? Its also rainy and chilly so that doesn't help. They're 16 week old Blue Laced Wyandottes (gorgeous!).

Are they with a Hen?

My little ones come out of the coop into the yard as soon as they can, normally its within the first week and they range right along side they're Mom. When Mom heads in for the night they go to the nest with her and do so until she decides it time to roost usually at about 4 - 5 weeks and they tuck under her wing on the perch till about 16 weeks and they start laying at about that same time.

Its just the two 16 weekers and thats it. I just checked on them, and they're laying on the ground of the coop cuddled up next to each other. Its a little chilly out but we have a lamp in there (we're in North Texas). I just hope they start to come out soon!

By out do you mean in free range or into a run. Without a hen to teach them they will be really cautious. Id be sure they are kept in a run when the first venture forth and protected. Usually the hen will (as well as the rooster) will teach them warning sounds and how to hide. Since they are on their own I imagine they will come forth slowly (obviously). They will. Can you handle them or are they flighty?

they'll come out when there ready. when i put mine out i put small pieces of bread on the ramp to the coup door, within ten minutes they were out and about running around have a blast outside.

I just pushed one or two out then everyone decided to come out, kinda mean but there was only a 4in drop.

Thanks. We got them on Thursday and they still haven't come out. The coop is about 3 feet off the ground with a ladder going down into an enclosed run area. You think I should push them out? They're not used to being held by people yet but once I'm holding them they're fine. I've thrown some treats down the ladder and they still just look at it like "What?". lol

It very well take longer than two days every thing has changed for them. I have a couple of questions. How big is their coop? If its big they may not feel a need to come out. Big is usually good, but if they are comfortable in there, why come out they might be thinking. Is the ladder, a ladder or a plank ramp with cleats? Were they ever out side before? There are a lot of new scary things out there for a chicken with no experience. That said a nudge might not be a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom