How long before u call time on a unhatched egg!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cencor, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Cencor

Cencor Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi everyone
    I posted the othet day our silkie snow was sitting on eggs. We were pretty sure they were due today only one came yestrrday looks great. Thing is shes still sat on 7 eggs we checked today nothing else has hatched. She has food an watet.
    My question is shall we keep checking her. Leave her a few days or call time on our little eggs thanks
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Were all of the eggs set at the same time, and did you candle them to assure viability? I would make sure that the chick has access to feed and water and would allow the other eggs a couple of days if the hen continues to set. Do a search on 'float test' to determine viability. Good luck.

3. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi this is our first broody a chicken neighbour candled them two where not viable so put on compost. She had been stealing eggs (were not sure hiw long as we didnt no they did it) she kicked four out of the nest herself on day 11
    Tganks for ur reply by the way

4. Faverolling

Faverolling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    I usually wait until day 23 then it's the float test.

But I agree, I'd candle them to check for embryos.

5. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    I no probably sounds stupid but whats the fliat test? And does it affect the chick

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I wait until momma leaves the nest. I'm not set up to incubate eggs, so when momma's done, all the eggs are done too. Once she leaves the nest, usually 2ish days after the first chick hatches, I clean out the nest and discard the shells and any unhatched eggs.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

22 to 23 days then I would say good buy but just do not bother
    her and let her do her job for you I am sure not all the eggs were
    laid in one day correct .....

gander007 [​IMG]

8. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Thats right turned out she was stealing well today we where going to dispose of them as the first chick monday second tues but as we were moving her to her hutch and run we heard cheeping in an egg an shes still sittin on them so think we will leave her.till monday then dispose of if we cant hear anythingx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by