How long can 3 chicks stay in a 3’x3’x3’ pen

Nannie1948

Hatching
Feb 10, 2018
Wondering how long my 3 chicks can stay in a 3x3’x3’ pen. They are now 4 weeks old. I would like to keep them here for 4 more weeks. They seem to be getting rather large to stay in there but have been advised to not put them outside until they are about 3 months old.

They should be ok in there for awhile yet. Depending on your weather, you might be able to start taking them outside for short periods of time during the warmest parts of the day. This will help them to get used to the temps, the environment, and give them time out of the brooder that they are beginning to outgrow. Then when the time comes for them to be outdoors full time, they will be ready!

There are plenty of is that brood chicks outdoors .I have 14 2-week-old chicks outside now, with a heating pad cave for warmth.

What temp are you keeping them at? I would start weaning them down, if you haven't already. The sooner you get them acclimated and their feathers grown in, the sooner you can move them outside. It also helps to know where you are, since advice will be different if you're in Alabama or Maine.

Last edited:
Wondering how long my 3 chicks can stay in a 3x3’x3’ pen. They are now 4 weeks old. I would like to keep them here for 4 more weeks. They seem to be getting rather large to stay in there but have been advised to not put them outside until they are about 3 months old.
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

That's some poor advice IMHO... and I would always get a second opinion. :hmm

Depending on weather, my birds can be out as young as 3 days! I provide an enclosed space with a "huddle box" until they get comfortable with their surroundings.

I kick myself if they haven't yet been out by 3 weeks... Though I guess certain vaccines they ask you to limit exposure... I don't vaccinate or know those.

Getting them out sooner actually allows them to build immunity to whatever microbes might be in your soil (best when young). I usually start by bringing in a plug of dirt, grass and all to get them some exposure before going out full time. And at first keep it down to an hour or two. I usually just go for the warmest part of the day. We never get much beyond 65 even in the dead of summer. So it is often around 50 degrees when my chicks are out. Sunny and 50 is warmer than cloudy or shady and 50. The huddle (cardboard) box is facing south to capture the warmth but it also can provide some shade if needed and should also block the wind well. We always have a slight breeze. Completely covered or supervised to avoid hawks or crows from stealing your chicks.

If you need to keep them inside for you to be comfortable... maybe get some cardboard boxes and cut door ways or even the sides and tape them together to provide more space. They *may* be fine, but they are likely bored. You will see a whole new excitement arise when they can stretch and flap their wings.

I also have 2 & 4 week old chicks outside right now. They do have a heat lamp in their tractor since they sleep there at night too.

There are plenty of is that brood socks outdoors
Do they reproduce when they grow up?! :gig :p

Last edited:
Again, we cannot really advise whether or not they should go outdoors because we don't know your weather. I have seen posters on BYC mentioning at their home it's in the 50s at night currently, at my house it was only about 4 degrees F a few nights ago and only in the 20s during the day. What would work in one geographic location may not safely work in another in terms of sending the chicks outdoors. What I can say is that as long as they are not being aggressive towards each other in the brooder, even though they are quickly growing, they are likely fine in there for now.

Back
Top Bottom