How long can a young hen lay one egg a day without a day off?

Taking a break isn't always a good thing.
I'd worry more it she stopped laying than continued.
:oops:
Haha! I get ya. I just mean taking a day off once in a while. Each of our other girls will take a day off every maybe 5-6 days.

We keep a very close eye on the girls. You're right, not laying definitely grabs our attention :) It makes us watch even closer.

They sing: when getting ready to lay an egg, while laying an egg, after laying an egg, when they think about laying an egg, when someone else lays an egg, when someone else who is thinking about an egg is singing.
:lau
There occasionally are days like that!

But I'm shocked that some days (apart from Holly's preemptive egg symphony) there is no noise whatsoever! Our barred rocks and Australorp almost NEVER sing the egg song. We call them ninja layers :D

Had a amberlink/EE cross pullet, hatched here, had some long stretches with only one day off in between 32, 49, 34, 20 then a bunch of 13-16 day stretches.

My red sex link started laying last August and has only skipped laying 5 days, twice for two days and last week she took a day off.

Holly took the day off after she laid her first egg in early January. She has taken a grand total of ONE - count 'em one! - day off since then. So she's been laying basically for 7 months non-stop. Sheesh! Take a break, girl! :)

Back
Top Bottom