1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can ducklings be away from heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RitaK, Oct 7, 2013.

1. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    They are a week old and I've got their brooder set up with heat in one corner at 90 degrees. This week I'll go down to 85. During the day, I let them swim and forage outside (supervised of course). How long can they be away from the heat?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducklings are tougher than we give them credit for, as long as it's not raining or snowing or below 70 they should be fine for around 30 min. at a time. Actually temps for ducklings should be around 85* first week 5* cooler each week there after. They sure are cute. If they are playing in the water outside I'd towel [pat]dry and bring them inside to finish drying under warmth of lamp. that way they won't chill. especially till they are making their own oil to oil their feathers. But letting them play in water at an early age encourages preening and oil gland stimulation.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Go by their behaviour. IF they continuously pick through the grass happily, they don't need to go in yet. If they are peeping and shivering, time to head in.

I'd say 30 minutes is a good estimate. Ducklings are better at handling temps than chicks. At 4 weeks I had kicked my ducks out of the brooder. They are so messy...

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    It's warm in my area and I have not had to put a heat lamp on the ducklings that hatched last week. They are in my garage and it's warm in there, so no heat lamp needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by