How long can they do without water?

deborahca

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 27, 2013
High Desert Southern California
My chicks are about four weeks old. Their broader is in the garage, and the last two days, the heart has climbed up into the low 90s. When I left the house this morning, I turned off the heat lamp. When I got home I found they had knocked the water over at some point, soaking the box, so probably pretty early. They may have been without water in warm conditions for 6-7 hours, and they drank a lot when I brought fresh water. Should I be worried about this causing problems for them? The box and being should dry OK, the climate is very dry, but is getting so thirsty likely to make them sick?

Last edited:
obviously it is not ideal to have them go without water, but their going without for several hours should not cause them any serious harm. especially since they are 4 weeks old. it would be much worse if they were only days old.

I had issues with my chicks knocking their water over and or filling it full of pine shavings. So, I now hang their water, about neck level for them. Seems to be working really well, maybe give that a try. If your temps are getting that hot, you really don't need the lamp during the day. I know my garage can get so hot, you can not breath in it---

Good. They also seem less active than usual with the hotter weather, and they are not eating quite as much. I hope it doesn't spike into the 100s. At what ambient temperature are chicks of this age best brought into an air-conditioned environment?

Yes, I'll have the light off during the day as long as it is this warm. The temps can drop quite abrubtly at night here, so I will probably plug it in, but have it illuminating only a very small bit of the box.

The chick waterer has no way to hang it, and I don't have anything to hang it from in the box. I do plan to get a more substantial platform to put it on, so it is less likely to get knocked over, and is above the shavings. Right now it's on a plate on top of an upside down bowl, which is clearly not ideal.

Last edited:
4 week old chicks do not need the temperature any higher than about 85. 90 would be bit much probably.
in your situation since the whole garage is getting warm the chicks cannot get out of the heat by moving away from the lamp.
This is different than my situation where the lamp is supplying all the heat to keep the temp right. the chicks can either move under the lamp for warmth or away if it is getting too warm.

I have a white wire shelf over their box and that's how I hang it. I would think bring them in now, if it is getting that hot and they are not eating. You start off with their heat lamp at 85/80 and then lower it 5 degrees each week, you are way above. Better to be safe than sorry---bring them in now. It may take a day or so for them to adjust and start eating, but they should. If it was one issue it would not be so bad, but you have high temps, potential water issues and they are not eating. To many variables.......move them inside.

Good luck!

I appreciate the input!

My husband is not at all keen on having them inside, and they will have to go outside in a 2-4 weeks where it will be hot. Is there any merit to the idea they need to acclimate to some degree of heat? They aren't not eating at all, they just aren't eating quite as much. At what level of reduced appetite should I get worried? I have a "mason jar" sized feeder with a plastic bottle, and the four were pretty much demolishing a full plastic thingy, now there is a bit leftover at the end of the day, so I wouldn't say they stopped eating...

The garage gets hot, but not quite up to the outside temp, so it is probably below 90, but in the 80s. It's a finished garage and pretty well insulated. The temps get quite cool overnight.

I'm now checking on them and the water obsessively... hopefully I can get a better platform tomrrow.

As of tonight they seem perfectly normal. It's cooled down just enough that I put the light back on for the night, although on a little of the brooder is exposed. They were eating and playing pretty hard when I turned the main light on to check before bed.

I do wonder if heat exposure now will help them when they transition to outside. I think I'll plan to set up a mister in the run for when it is over 100, but it does get hot here, and people do keep chickens...

I'm getting grey hairs with this!

A mister is a good idea! Mine love their mister and did fine last summer. It's rare to have a day that does NOT get to at least 100 here.

Back
Top Bottom