How long can they hang in a small coop without a run

buffyandhersisters

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
We have 5 6 week old chicks (we had 6 but our dog and/or an owl got one on Sunday). My husband brought home 2 pullets yesterday to replace the baby. The pullets are big though - much bigger than our 6 week olds. One of the pullets even laid an egg today. I put the pullets in an empty rabbit hutch (5 ft x 2 ft and up off the ground). I think they are too big to put in our hen house with the chicks so I'm working on creating a separated space for them. How long can they hang in the rabbit hutch before its cruelty to chickens? I need a couple more days.

Personally, I'd keep those hens separated for at least 30 days to make sure they are healthy. But that's just me.

A 5x2 rabbit hutch seems fine for two hens. If you feel that they need a little outside time, maybe make a little ring/playpen with chicken wire and let them out with supervision, of course.

Thank you! How do I know if they need outside time - or is it just an assumption that they would like some? They are just snuggling down in the straw and seem content.

They'll be fine. Give them a chance to acclimate and get used to you. Give them lots of treats and lov'n. If they start seeming restless, then make 'em a playpen and spend a little time relaxing in the yard with them and an ice tea. It just gives them a little time in the grass/dirt with the ability to scratch around and do chicken things. In my mind, I picture a rabbit hutch with plenty of fresh air, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Your hutch has hardware wire, right??? We don't want any night time intruders reaching their paws through large wire and hurting your new babies....

BTW, honey, welcome!!

Last edited:
Yes it has hardware wire and lots of ventilation. Its warm out as well - we're in California. I'll try the playpen thing tomorrow. Sounds like fun.

Thanks for all your help. PS I checked out your web page - adorable girls and chickens! One of my chicks is a buff cochin and looks just like your chicks.

Thanks, Buffy. We are enjoying being a chicken family.

PM me anytime if I can be of help. I am so very appreciative to all the BYCers who held my hand over the last year. And you all know who you are...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom