How long can you leave your flock alone?

Do you leave your chickens alone for days at a time?

• OMG you should go to prison for neglect!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IdyllwildAcres

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 3, 2016
In the mountains of Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
When I first got chickens I decided I would have to be able to leave them at least a week if needed. They are my slaves not the other way around. I have left them for 8 days when evacuated for fire. They could go up to two weeks on their own. 12 chickens, 18 gallons of water and about 30# of food in two feeders. Pred proof coop and no yard time if they are left alone, roll out nest box keeps the eggs collected. I leave them alone for 2-3 days at a time and never give it a second thought. I never clean the coop, ever. It is DLM over dirt floor and its been 20 months, perhaps this spring I will clean out the DLM and start over. I feel like I am doing everything right, for me anyways. What about you? How long can you leave your chickens to fend for themselves?

Not a good comparison, given the historical contexts of slavery and the fact that slaves are, by definition, people. The birds are your livestock. They are animals, and therefore this is not slavery. They also could not fend for themselves if released.

If the animals have enough food, water, space, enrichment, and companionship to be happy, and the environment is clean, it doesn't matter how often you visit.

Not a good comparison, given the historical contexts of slavery and the fact that slaves are, by definition, people. The birds are your livestock. They are animals, and therefore this is not slavery. They also could not fend for themselves if released.

If the animals have enough food, water, space, enrichment, and companionship to be happy, and the environment is clean, it doesn't matter how often you visit.

Lighten up.

Gary

Well when I have to leave for more than 24 hrs. I’ve always had someone come to the house every day for my dogs. So....the chickens are far less work in that sense. Their feeder can hold approx 2 weeks of food when filled to the top. They could go that long with extra waterers.

I said "yes". I don't do it all the time but we were out of town for 11 days and I left them with someone to check on them twice a week or 3 time total during our absence.

There are 7 of them. They have 3 feeders, 4 different waterers (the largest being 5 gal, probably 11 gal total). They did fine and my housekeeper got their eggs. I had a ____load of poop to clean out of the coop. But all was well. ...and they seem to have forgiven me.

My dog and cat required a lot more attention.

I can comfortably leave them alone for a weekend. Past that, we need someone to pet sit. Not just the chickens, put the parakeet, the hamster, and the cats.

You should probably clean the coop sometime.
Your chickens are your livestock.

With my current feed/water setup and number of birds, I could leave them alone for about 3 days, which is how long my trips usually are. Only thing that would still requires a human is picking up eggs - I considered a rollout box but I travel so infrequently it didn't seem necessary. I would still have a neighbor stop by to check on them or pick up eggs, even if only once or twice.

We have left ours alone for 3-4 days several times. When we've been gone for 7-14 days I have had someone come over 2-3 times a week to collect eggs, check on food and water, and make sure everyone is ok. Could we have an issue? Sure. But we haven't yet.

Back
Top Bottom