How long can you store eggs in fridge for eating?

karanleaf

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Glenwood, Missouri
How long can you keep eggs in fridge and they still be good to eat? I am talking Duck eggs and Chicken eggs? I have some Duck eggs in the fridge that are 5 weeks old are they still good for eating and baking?

I realize that we should know the age of the eggs at the store but do you really?

Thanks
big_smile.png
Karan

I have kept them for several weeks in the fridge and they were fine. Of course, keep in mind that I gather my eating eggs, wash them and put them right in the fridge.

Hi,

I just hard boiled two dozen eggs that were from 3 to 4 weeks old and they were fine. They hardly had an air space at all, despite the fact that I washed them before refrigerating (not supposed to wash them to keep them fresher but I don't like to put unwashed eggs in the refrigerator, although I'm sure it would be fine). I really think they will last more than a month, especially if you don't wash them.

You could always try floating them in water if you're not sure. If they stay at the bottom or stand up slightly, they're good. If they float to the top, I wouldn't use them. As eggs age, air gets into the pores and the whites dehydrate.

I made egg salad and it was great and, believe me, I'm really fussy about what we eat! Hope this helps! Genie

Quote:
Eggcellent advice! I have some be good after 2 months, but the whites spread more, and the yolks aren't as high.

Thanks I apprechate all the advise I have someone that wanted to try some duck eggs and as I said I have some that have been in fridge for about 5 weeks. I will try the float test
clap.gif

Thanks
big_smile.png
Karan

I have read on here that they keep TWO MONTHS in the fridge and ONE MONTH on your counter top at room temp! Can you believe that? I figure it sounds good to me so I date mine and sell them and tell them eat them by 2 months from the lay date. And I only wash the ones that come out of the nest stained and you are supposed to use water COLDER than the egg so the bacteria does not get shoved into the pores of the shell.

Mother Earth News had done a study on various ways to store eggs last year, refrigerated and non-refrigerated.

In the conclusion of the article they make this statement (35° to 40°F would be standard refrigerated temps)...
The very best way we've found to stash eggs away for long-term storage is in a sealed container at a temperature of 35° to 40°F. Their whites may become somewhat runny looking over a period of time, but even after seven months—the cackleberries stored in this manner smell good, taste good, have a good texture, and—in short—seem "almost fresh".

The article is on their website:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1977-11-01/Egg-Refrigeration-Experiment.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks again gang
clap.gif
I think I may boil some up too and have some deviled eggs
woot.gif
I have been saving the newer layed Duck eggs has they are being sold and shipping out
celebrate.gif
So needed to know if the 4 dozen I had in fridge would still be usable.
clap.gif
Thanks again

big_smile.png
Karan

Back
Top Bottom