How long do chickens lay eggs?

chickenthyme

Songster
Feb 3, 2018
NE Ohio
I have a Sapphire Olive Egger that was a year the end of March of this year. She was one of the first to start laying eggs but seems like she's practically slowed down to nothing. Any thoughts or information? Also have a australorp I thought wasn't never going to lay eggs and she finally did. I'm down to five hens and basically never seem to have an over abundance of eggs as between myself and my husband, we use them all. :confused:

I have a Sapphire Olive Egger that was a year the end of March of this year. She was one of the first to start laying eggs but seems like she's practically slowed down to nothing. Any thoughts or information? Also have a australorp I thought wasn't never going to lay eggs and she finally did. I'm down to five hens and basically never seem to have an over abundance of eggs as between myself and my husband, we use them all. :confused:
Hi there. :frow

Some chickens have randomly laid eggs into their 10th year of life!

Overall things that matter start with genetics, followed by nutrition, daylight, and other factors.

Many chickens will easily lay eggs into their 4th and 5th year.. but all will usually take a winter break during which time they molt out and grow in new feathers. To combat this lull in eggs I add in a couple pullets each year and sell off a couple older gals.

All chickens are hatched with every egg they will ever produce already on board.

Laying hormone is light induced.. some folks provide extra lighting, but season definitely effects production. I go natural.. but with 5 hens (depending on age and breed) I would EXPECT them to meet the needs of you and your hubby at LEAST.

OE.. you'd be lucky to get 3 eggs a week at maturity.

Take note of any angry skin indicating parasites. Consider getting a group fecal float to get a look at internal parasite load. Both things can effect production. Also be aware of any possible hidden nest or egg thief.

:fl

Not at all unusual for a hen to take a break in her laying cycle around 1.5 years of age. She may very well molt and then resume another cycle f laying.
Well good to know. Her last several eggs started to be more oval than egg shaped and a couple of those fairy eggs thrown in the mix. She seems to be acting normal so guess I just need to be patient. :hmm

Hi there. :frow

Some chickens have randomly laid eggs into their 10th year of life!

Overall things that matter start with genetics, followed by nutrition, daylight, and other factors.

Many chickens will easily lay eggs into their 4th and 5th year.. but all will usually take a winter break during which time they molt out and grow in new feathers. To combat this lull in eggs I add in a couple pullets each year and sell off a couple older gals.

All chickens are hatched with every egg they will ever produce already on board.

Laying hormone is light induced.. some folks provide extra lighting, but season definitely effects production. I go natural.. but with 5 hens (depending on age and breed) I would EXPECT them to meet the needs of you and your hubby at LEAST.

OE.. you'd be lucky to get 3 eggs a week at maturity.

Take note of any angry skin indicating parasites. Consider getting a group fecal float to get a look at internal parasite load. Both things can effect production. Also be aware of any possible hidden nest or egg thief.

:fl
I've half thought of adding more chickens but not sure I want to go through the process. Guess the worst part was stage of build up and then adding them to the flock. :rolleyes:

I've half thought of adding more chickens but not sure I want to go through the process. Guess the worst part was stage of build up and then adding them to the flock. :rolleyes:
They can be a real pain in the butt sometimes but very entertaining too. Plus, when the grow up stage is over, you’ve got more layers crankin’ out delicious eggs. I’ve got young ones right now and they overreact to every new move I make. Drama queens! I’m ready to move them in with the bigs girls for sure.

Adding new chicks isn't too difficult if you set up for it ahead of time, and have the space to accommodate a larger flock.

I've been adding new chicks every 2 years to keep up with egg laying. Saving up eggs in fall is how I get through winter, partially at least.

Back
Top Bottom