How long do chickens stop laying when stressed?

Inharmony

Songster
11 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Hello,

So we have had multiple stressor unfortunately. First my old hens stopped laying over winter and never started again other than one bird which lays intermittently (probably 2 yrs old-they were retired from an industrial chicken farm)

So we got 6 new birds from a local farm who raised them to sell: 3 lavender orpington and 3 silver laced wyandotte.

Somewhere along the way we got mites. That was treated and then we had a racoon attack and kill one of the 6 new birds. (Of course not the old retired ones) So I think this set back the new birds again.

One or maybe two of the new birds finally started laying (we were getting one small egg a day) we think they were about 26 weeks according to what age we were told they were when we got them.

We had ordered some others from the local feed store too but it was a long wait! They just arrived Wednesday: 2 Columbian rock and 8 Azure blue.

We had set up a temporary run inside the run we already had, which the old chickens so they were separated but that only worked until sundown. Then all the new chickens refused to nest in the temporary dog crate I set up and they flew up the 10 foot fence until they found a way through to the others. They wanted to go up into a coop not be at ground level (I know chickens like being high at night but thought for a short time they would be ok.) After 3 found their way through my temporary fence getting caught up in the process of squeezing through I gave up and ripped it out to let them together because they were more likely to hurt themselves trying to break through.

The one older rooster we have didn't want to let them join but after I moved him they got in and they all have done surprisingly well to integrate together.

For two days we were doing great! We got 6-7 blue eggs Thursday and Friday and 2-3 brown so I knew at least the blue azure were laying already! We were so excited to have eggs finally!

Now today (Saturday) we only got one blue egg, no other eggs, by 12 noon. I know stress will stop chickens from laying but would it take a few days for it to affect them?

Will my younger wyandotte and orpingtons who just started laying, stop laying too due to the stress of adding new bird to their home?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any stress can interrupt egg production, for days or weeks. It's also molting time, is that in progress with your flock?
Our birds slowed production big time because we had weeks of miserable hot weather, and now many are molting. Our April pullets are starting to lay small eggs, but this has not been a good summer for egg production here, without predator issues.
All the best,
Mary

I think a few are molting. It is less obvious this time. In the past my birds have really lost a lot of feathers but these ones do not seem to be loosing nearly as bad! This picture is one who is starting to grow back feathers now. I don't believe she had started to lay yet. The others all seem fully feathered although there are a lot of feathers in the pen!

Attachments

• 20210921_181441.jpg
    20210921_181441.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom