How Long Do Hens Lay? Age?

fourfeathers

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Western Kentucky
I have 3 bantam hens who have been regular egg layers, except when molting. They are now 5-6 years old and have not laid much this spring or summer. None of them. They are energetic, bright eyed, feathered (not molting), get plenty of layer crumbles (dry and a mash), grit, greens, seeds, raisins, etc. Not stressed either that I can tell. They are kept up at night, have an aviary for daytime or an indoor coop, and are able to range in the late afternoon/early evening if they want.
One girl did lay one egg a few days ago and it broke, or she broke it. Nothing prior to that for months. Are they considered to be seniors and have just reached an age to stop laying? Odd that all three have, but they are the same age, size and breed and have always been together.

Obelisk turned 5 on Memorial Day and she's still laying.
If you were going just for the egg production, "farms" keep them only 2 years, but if a hen is in good health, she should be able to lay right up until the day she crosses the bridge.

I have five hens about 4-5 years old. 2 buffs, 1 BR, 1 Australorpe and 1 Americana. After their last moult last fall, I thought they were pretty much done with egg laying as I had no eggs from them for months. Then, when my new babies grew up and starting laying, the big girls started laying again as well. I don't know if there is a connection.

Anne

Oddly enough, I got an egg yesterday from my hen Frederica. hmmmm. Maybe this will start the others going again.
smile.png

I do notice though that except for the Americauna, the big girls egg shells get thinner each year. But I understand that is a condition of age.
Anne

Back
Top Bottom