How long do I let newly hatched chicks stay in the 'bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gryeyes, Aug 7, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uhhh, what the subject line says.

The 'bator keeps the temp really steady, so should the chicks stay there overnight? And then put 'em in the brooder, or put one lonely chick in the brooder whilst the other one dries in the 'bator?

2. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    My line of thinking may be incorrect but I don't open the door until I'm sure everyone that is going to hatch is out and dried. Sometimes its been one day, sometimes its been closer to 3 days. I havent lost a hatched chick as a result of being in the Bator too long.

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Chicks can live off of their yolk sac for 3 days after hatching, which is why the hatcheries can ship them. I usually wait until everyone has hatched and is dry, no more than 3 days from when the first chick hatches.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

THANK YOU for the replies! I really appreciate it. I will stop fussing now. Maybe....

At least I know I don't have to grab 'em and shove 'em into a brooder just yet, but can wait until all that will hatch go together.

Thanks again!

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Just as soon as they dry off. Some people don't like to open the lid if others are still trying to hatch. But it's not going to hurt anything if it's only for a minute. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by