How long Do I wait?

Hurleyk114

Chirping
Nov 5, 2023
I have 9 eggs in incubator, 1 hatched and 5 have pipped. How long can the first chick be in the incubator? I know they can go up to 72 hours without food and water but how long should I give the other eggs while the first chick is in there?

I usually leave the first chick in there overnight and take it out the next morning. It has time to dry and fluff up and usually has fluffy friends as well when I wake up so it doesn't have to be by itself in the brooder. Plus, its peeping in the incubator motivates the others to come out too, at least I like to think so!

But in terms of how much time to give the other eggs, I don't worry too much about it - they've been fine even if I open the incubator a few times to remove shells or put the first few chicks in the brooder.

If Chick is dried out,, AND YOU HAVE A BROODER SET UP. take out and close incubator back up. The 12 seconds of incubator being opened will be just fine. Consider, that chicks hatch under broody hens, with ambient air and there are no issues there.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you!

I usually leave the first chick in there overnight and take it out the next morning. It has time to dry and fluff up and usually has fluffy friends as well when I wake up so it doesn't have to be by itself in the brooder. Plus, its peeping in the incubator motivates the others to come out too, at least I like to think so!

But in terms of how much time to give the other eggs, I don't worry too much about it - they've been fine even if I open the incubator a few times to remove shells or put the first few chicks in the brooder.
Thank you!

If Chick is dried out,, AND YOU HAVE A BROODER SET UP. take out and close incubator back up. The 12 seconds of incubator being opened will be just fine. Consider, that chicks hatch under broody hens, with ambient air and there are no issues there.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I have 6 chickies now 3 are dry and is getting pretty crowded. If I open it to get a few of the dry chicks out with the other ones that just hatched and are still wet be ok? I was kinda waiting for them to be dryer but they just keep hatching lol.

Back
Top Bottom