How long do I wait

UPDATE:
After talking to a close friend from my poultry club she put me in contact with someone who’s been breeding ducks and chickens for close to 50yrs … I showed photos and explained what I’m seeing and what’s happening and I’ve had to do an emergency assist In order to save babies life… “she“ is now completely out of the egg yolk still attached and in tact is breathing peeping and slowly absorbing the yolk… somehow I ended up with a malpositioned duckling and yolk sac… and a bacterial infection inside the egg…. She’s currently in an “ICU BED” In the incubator (one of my small tuppaware containers with paper towel under her)
the other duckling has been partially assisted with slight evidence of the same bacterial infection in the egg and was also malpositioned ”he” is doing good and is absorbing the yolk nicely. As he is a lot stronger than the other duckling I’ve only assisted so when he’s ready he can just push himself out of the egg… he’s also been placed on paper towel freely in the incubator to finish doing his thing.
thanks everyone for your help and advice…
just so you know the breeds are pure pekin (non ICU baby) and
Cayuga x Pekin ( ICU baby) I will send photos as soon as I know babies are healthy and strong…
We’re these your eggs ? Or ones you got ?
The smaller the egg the harder it is for them to hatch
I learned my lesson on my first batch as my mom duck was new ri laying and her eggs were smaller. This caused out of 6 I started with 4 needed assistance and 2 hatched themselves the 2 that did hatch themselves were the bigger of the 6 . 2 died one I helped to soon to much and the other was a bruise at the wrong end I didn’t know what it meant
Hopefully babies continue to absorb
Keep us updated

What's your humidity at? How far has the pipping gone (just internal? External? How big a hole? Any zipping?)
External pip had to help with making the hole big enough for them to breathe as shrink wrapping was already acuring… no zipping as yet… one has a brownish membrane the other is normal color.

Now been approximately 28hours since I found the 1st one piped ( Cayuga x pekin) still no movement on zipping 2nd one (pure pekin) will be at the 24hr mark in about 4hrs roughly

Last edited:
Sorry should add humidity is sitting between 78% and 88% tho it it’s flacuating. Temp is between 36.1 and 37.5 again it’s fluctuating as the environment around the incubator is constantly changing… gotta love Australia! 🤣🤣

You shouldn't be having any issues with shrink wrapping at that humidity. I wonder what the heck is causing it...

I've only hatched duck eggs once, and it was a disaster. I've learned one major thing from that: don't help. :( Ducks naturally take much longer than chickens to hatch, and can be several days from external pip to actual hatch.

If the baby is alive and breathing, then let it be. Keep a high humidity. If you can, play sounds of ducklings peeping on loop to encourage them.

Hopefully others will be able to offer their experience, which is much vaster than mine!

You shouldn't be having any issues with shrink wrapping at that humidity. I wonder what the heck is causing it...

I've only hatched duck eggs once, and it was a disaster. I've learned one major thing from that: don't help. :( Ducks naturally take much longer than chickens to hatch, and can be several days from external pip to actual hatch.

If the baby is alive and breathing, then let it be. Keep a high humidity. If you can, play sounds of ducklings peeping on loop to encourage them.

Hopefully others will be able to offer their experience, which is much vaster than mine!
I’ve been having an issue with shrink wrapping all season… with both ducks and chickens I suspect something is happening with the incubator or incubation process…
While I know ducks can take upto 48hrs I’m worried that my little Cayuga x isn’t digesting the yolk… I can see the HUGE yolk sac when I look into the egg and it doesn’t seem to be getting any smaller…
I’m slowly waiting it out to the 48-50hr mark before I step in completely… I’m just worried incase there’s something wrong considering the membrane is a brown/green color and not a clear/white color

I’m talking to them and peeping at them but otherwise I’m just letting them do their thing… every 2-3hrs I’m getting my q-tip (ear bud) dipping it water and slowly and carefully moving the membrane off the duckling so it can move some what freely again..

Hatching some duck eggs… piped 24hrs ago (minimum) how long do I wait before I help out?
I’ve had major issues this season with shrink wrapping and had to help 90% of my chicks these are the 1st ducklings for the season…
At what point do I step in? Thanks
Are you talking about internal pip ? External pip ? Or external missing the air cell ? Each one has different times
If I haven’t seen an external by 24 hours after internal I make a small safety hole nothing to big
95% of the time they still make their own external after that but it gives me piece of mind
The other 5% I end up having to help further later on
If it’s external after an internal I wait 24 hours unless I see baby making a big hole but not going around
At that time I may make the original hole a little bigger but almost every time they do something before that 24 hours
If it’s external and missing the internal I don’t worry for 48 hours minimum as we have to add the 24 hour internal to the external
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom