How long do my chicks need rocks in there waterer?

Never used marbles or rocks, but then again I use quart waterers for the chicks. Thinking about switching over to the 3 gallon waterers soon, but I have a tiny silkie so I'll probably just go on cleaning waterers every hour for awhile yet.
barnie.gif

I was wondering when I could take the rocks out

PS I thought the rocks were for drowning too. I have rocks in my waterer when my chicks are a week (and a half) old

Quote:

I thought the rocks are there to keep the babies from drowning in case they fall in.

I'm with you...if the water is not too deep for them to fall in, you don't need rocks or marbles. I have had several baby hathces and have NEVER USED either and they do fine. they have an instinct that will lead them to the water. Now Turkeys, I don't know..I was told they can be rather dumb if I may put it so bluntly...haven't raised any from babies so not sure.
I have raised chickens, turkey and guineas from a day old, never put rocks in the waterer! Got quail and was told I'd have to or they'll drown. I use a quart waterer for them with the rocks. They seem to do this straddle with one foot on the rocks and the other on the ground thing so I can see where you could run into problems with falling in. They also love to do this back flip thing while testing their wings and love to flip each other over so maybe it's a good idea for the first week or so, mainly because of their size.

Back
Top Bottom