How Long Do Netherland Dwarves Get?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Poultrybreeder, May 24, 2017.

1. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2017
    I know their weights can vary from 1.1-2.5 pounds, but length wise, how large are they? I wanted to get two does, but no bucks, since I only have one rabbit hutch and I don't want a bunch of babies, my hutch is 2 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and 4 feet long. I have heard that is big enough for this type.

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    They stay small. In think mine were about 10 inches long stretched out some.

3. Poultrybreeder

Apr 21, 2017
    Ok, thank you!

4. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    You're welcome.
    Your hutch should be able to house them.
    Trying to remember back ten years lol. I built the ones we had and they were huge.

Have you chosen what colors you are getting? They are super cute as I am sure you know.

I kinda miss my little bunnies even after all these years.

5. Poultrybreeder

Apr 21, 2017
    I want to get a chocolate one and a Siamese one

6. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I am sure you will have fun with their antics.
    Mine were a white and an otter colored. Super cute and fun to hang out with.
    My white made it to 11 years old.

They do live a long time.....

7. Poultrybreeder

Apr 21, 2017
    Thank you for helping! And yeah, that is a looong time

8. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    You're welcome.

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Unless you spay them, does tend not to live very long - most of mine have lived only about 4 to 5 years.

Though the maximum showable size for Netherland Dwarfs may only be 2 1/2 lbs, they do come larger. Dwarfs without the dwarfing gene can weigh 3 1/2 lbs or more; we call them false dwarfs.

Some of the sweetest, and some of the nastiest rabbits I have had have been Netherland Dwarfs. If a longtime breeder may make a suggestion, go for personality first. Horse people say that a good horse is never a bad color; IMO, that applies to rabbits, too.;)

21hens-incharge likes this.
  10. braehedge

braehedge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Because NDs are a small rabbit breed, even unfixed does often live to be 8-10 years. True, personality is very important, but don't buy a rabbit with conformation of a mutt if you're planning on breeding or showing. Sometimes you have to compromise on a rabbit with medium personality and conformation. Do not buy the cheapest thing on the market. A good ND will run $40-$100... for a brood\show quality. These rabbits often have decent personalities. I do not mean to say that conformation is always a major concern, but from a showman's perspective, when I go buying rabbits, I'd rather see it conform to the ARBA standard than be able to hug it. As long as I can care for it, I can train out the nastiness.

21hens-incharge likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by