1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do real Christmas trees last??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Nov 27, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    Charlie Brown Christmas.. [​IMG]

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:That's a perfect tree Imp.

3. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    when i was a little girl,my grandparents had a tree that lasted over a YEAR! they took it down after the holidays (a hige flocked tree) covered it loose in platic,then hung it upside down in the back corner of the garage. i thought it great fun to show off to my friends dduring the summer break. later, watched my grandparents take it down, bring it inside and set it back up. looked the same. smelled the same.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Mythbusters did a thing one year on how to make a christmas tree last.. I think the winning trees from their testing had hairspray on them (but increased the possibility of a fire)... I'll go see if I can find a link...

edited to add link: http://mythbustersresults.com/special10
    you
    need to scroll down to see what all they tested

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    When I was in Oregon, we used to go out the the Saturday after Thanksgiving and go cut down a tree at a farm. It would still be fresh after New Year's Day when it came down, which was great because I HATE vacuuming needles.

They do drink a ton of water, though. We had one of those plastic stands that hold a lot of water and we refilled it at least once sometimes 3 times daily.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you have a wood stove in the room, then no. Our trees dried out so much with the wood stove, that we finally went to artificial trees.

7. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    We always added some sugar to the water. Ours would last 2-4 weeks depending onthe tree and the humidity in the house.

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I think the key is to run out and cut it yourself. Then keep it really well watered. Store-bought real trees aggravate my asthma, don't know if it's mold from being stored so long, or the chemical preservatives. The ones we cut ourselves never bother me.

However, IF you should let it dry out, DON'T let anyone try the experiment "let's see how flammable it really is". Even on the concrete driveway, it was SCARY. In ten minutes, it was nothing but ash.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    With or without the spiders? Did Imp never tell you about his real tree? Seems it had a spider egg sack in it and when he brought it inside to the warmth the eggs hatched. [​IMG]

10. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    aaaaaah! SPIDERS!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by