How long do they need the heat lamp?

rella88

Hatching
Jan 13, 2017
I bought 10 baby chicks 2 weeks ago and forgot to ask how old they were. They appeared over two weeks as they had a lot of pin feathers, already. They are quickly out growing the tub I am using for their brooder. I need to separate them into two as my house doesn't have the space for one big brooder and don't have another heat lamp. How old do they have to be to remove the heat lamp?

Welcome to BYC. Most chicks are fully feathered out around 6 weeks old, and then can be eased into their outside coop. What are the temperatures where you live? I would advise you to not separate them, since they are bonded as a group, and may be hard to place together later without fighting and pecking. It can be simple to use a water trough, or build a simple plywood brooder for them. Only one heat lamp is still required. Place a screen or some wire fencing securely over the top so they cannot fly out when they are 2-3 weeks old. The one I built for 25 chicks was 4 foot by 4 foot, with 2 foot tall sides. I put it together with screws, and took it apart and stored it for later use. You could use a 2x4x2 foot tall one for 10. Here is a good link to click on for many homemade brooder designs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-brooder-designs-pictures

The tub I have is 4.5'x2' and 2' deep. I live just north of Dallas so it's still chilly and my coop needs some repairs before letting them live out there. I have made a new feeder to keep up w/ them. If they can be outside, during the day,in a couple weeks, I may see if they can stick it out. Although,I did notice one has missing tail feathers so I think they need more space very soon. Thank you for the advice.

Chicks do not even need a heat lamp as long as there are other chicks in the area.if it is reasonably cold where they are placed,(Like 16F)or below,then I would consider it.I have heard of week old chicks outside 25 degrees,in a coop,all they had was eachothr.

Last edited:
I used nice sturdy boxes ducktaped securely w/ multiple rooms, this might help you. And add more boxes room as needed w/ door cut out.

Chicks do not even need a heat lamp as long as there are other chicks in the area.if it is reasonably cold where they are placed,(Like 16F)or below,then I would consider it.I have heard of week old chicks outside 25 degrees,in a coop,all they had was eachothr.

Maybe so...but I certainly would NOT recommend it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it to my chicks either out there in the coldest weather,but i'm just stating they could survive without it.

Quote: Chicks that are not feathered need a source of extra heat at least for the first few weeks. What TR is suggesting is a recipe for disaster. Rella, what are you using for a heat lamp? Your chicks may very well be old enough that they need no supplemental heat inside. Turn the heat off when you can be around to supervise them, and see how they respond. If they stay happily moving around, and do not pig pile on each other, they may be warm enough. Can you post pics of your chicks???

Back
Top Bottom