How long do worms live once expelled?? (prior to treatment)

chickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2007
Stillwater, NJ
Just noticed today some worms in my hen's poop. Dont know what made me look but I did. She is perfectly healthy, better feathering than the rest of my flock and has never had a problem with anything, until now. I thought if a chicken had worms, their health would deteriorate but not in her case. Luckily I saw them.

I am wondering how long these worms will last that she pooped out. Is the coop infested now? Do I need to treat with something before I allow them back in there?

I treated with Eprinex today to take care of these things. They are very gross!

Rather than give you a wrong answer as I'm not exactly sure ...I will bump your post up. I'm interested to read what others think.
smile.png

What kind of worm was it? If you are not sure, you may want to have a fecal test done by the vet. If one bird has it, they probably all do. I would worm everybody and thoroughly clean the coop. Make sure you check the wormer label to be sure if there is a waiting period before it is safe to eat the eggs (or meat if you butcher).

I'm guessing it was some type of roundworm. Maybe a cecal worm according to the description I have found. I treated all with ivomec eprinex. I found no more live worms today. Thank God. I was just curious how long the actual untreated expelled worm could live not being in a host.

Is there anything I could/ should treat the coop with to help prevent a reoccurance?

Back
Top Bottom