How long do you wait for a hatch under a broody?

Kiwiluff

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2020
I have a broody silkie that has been sitting on a pile of eggs for what I *believe* has been at least 25 days. Yesterday I told myself it had been too long and they must not have made it and planned to take the eggs out of the nest to see what happened with them... but heard chirping from the first egg I picked up! This morning I spotted an external pip on that egg! Very exciting!

So far its just the one out of 6 that I have seen or heard any action from. How long should I give the rest to see if they make any progress or are goners? I only managed to candle once during the process but most of them are dark shelled and it was already pretty far along by then so I didn't get a good view.

The mother will most likely leave the nest with her chick/chicks within 36 hours after the first chick hatches. Good luck for a successful hatch.

I have a broody silkie that has been sitting on a pile of eggs for what I *believe* has been at least 25 days.
Why don't I have a lot of confidence in your counting abilities. :oops: I often say the broody hen knows more about what's going on than I do. Somehow I feel that is true in your case too.

Since it seems that at least one will hatch, let the hen decide. I don't see any reason to hurry. Here's hoping you get more than that one.

Yeah I didn't have a ton of confidence in the count 😂 We weren't originally going to let her hatch but she was determined! I took a video of her shouting at me 4/11 after I stopped removing her from the nest so I've been counting from there.

Another update if anyone happens to have the same concerns in the future: ALL SIX (Two silkie and four Black Marans) have now hatched! The last one made it out this afternoon, 28 days after the nest was locked up! I will forever trust mama hen! ❤

Attachments

• received_149411710480232.jpeg
    received_149411710480232.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom