How long do young females quack loud?

mrdelurk

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
20221207_065113.jpg 20221207_065157.jpg

Starting with 3 pet ducks a few years ago, I have 40 now. I got used to the fact that young (non-Muscovy) ducks girls go through an early stage where they quack up a storm for no apparent reason for a while, before quieting down as they mature. Does anyone know how long this quacking stage lasts? My youngest batch of 5 females (pictured) quacks far louder than I ever heard their moms honk at their age... this seems just bizarre. Thank you

20221207_070352.jpg

Out of 6 girls we have one that doesn't shut up (a call duck), 1 that quacks for food and to be let out of the coop in the morning (a pekin), 3 that quack for food (Swedish blues) and one that rarely quacks (another call)!!

So, 5 out of 6 for us are still quackers...

My Runners and Buffs are going on 7 yrs old and boy do those girls like to hear themselves quack. It's not all the time but they can let ya know they are out there when they do quack.

Perhaps the incessant loud quacking coincided with them becoming sexually mature?
I have runners, and they quack loudly when they're hungry or excited. It's definitely not incessant, though. There are about 2 1/2 yrs old.

Back
Top Bottom