How long do zip ties last?

In my experience with zip ties, the non UV stable white ones get brittle in the CA sun in less than a year. I have some stuff that has been zip tied with the UV ones and they’re still strong 4yrs later. I only recently discovered stainless zip ties existed, never seen them before. Baling wire and galvanized wire are another long lasting tie choice

The title pretty much sums it up
Answer is.....Until they break. :D
I have some out there that have lasted 7 years....others not so much.
Too many variables, what kind of tie(size and material), the force that's on it, the weather it's exposed too.....etcetcetc.

Answer is.....Until they break. :D
I have some out there that have lasted 7 years....others not so much.
Too many variables, what kind of tie(size and material), the force that's on it, the weather it's exposed too.....etcetcetc.
Fair. So then the next thing I wonder is if they'll fail fairly uniformly, since they're all from the same time/store/in the same general location/etc. Maybe I'll add more from time to time with some kind of marker so that I can tell when a particular tie is from and when a few from a batch fail I replace all of that batch? I'm looking at the SS ties as well, for at least the most critical fail points, and maybe I'll gradually switch over to them everywhere, but they're a bit pricey to do all the ties on all the panels RN.

I used some Stainless steel zip ties. But when they ran out I just used rebar ties.
Did you have galvanized rebar ties? I used a combination of plastic zip ties and rebar ties ... but my rebar ties all started rusting pretty quickly.

I'll look to replace what breaks with stainless/galvanized something.

Plastic is super handy from a cheap quick and easy approach. They can easily be cut/moved as needed.

Heavy duty UV protected industrial black zip ties with lots of carbon black can easily last for years...may need to order online to get the heavy duty high UV protection ones.

Heavy duty UV protected industrial black zip ties with lots of carbon black can easily last for years...may need to order online to get the heavy duty high UV protection ones.
I used mostly these ... listed as extreme weather outdoor: ($9/100)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-100-Pack-8-in-Cable-Ties/999971162

Robust, heavy duty nylon cable ties designed specifically for extreme strength and durability in harsh environments. Available in varying lengths, rated to support up to 52 lbs., extreme ties are UV resistant and equally appropriate for indoor or outdoor applications. When it just has to hold, these are the ties that zip down and stay put.
  • Use type: extreme
  • UL type: 21S
  • For indoor or outdoor use
  • Maximum bundle diameter: 2-in, minimum bundle diameter: 0.12-in
  • Operating temperature range: -40 degrees F/-40 degrees C - 185 degrees F/85 degrees C
  • Minimum installation temperature: -4 degrees F/-20 degrees C
  • Material flame rating: HB
  • Plenum rated: AH-2
  • Width of tie: 0.181-in

I also used a bunch of these: ($2/100)
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-black-cable-ties-pack-of-100-34635.html
  • Loop tensile strength: 220 N (49 lb.-f)
  • Made from durable nylon material
  • Bundle diameter: Min: 1/8 in., Max: 2-1/4 in.
  • Operating temperature: Min: -40° C (-40° F), Max: 85° C (185° F)

Did you have galvanized rebar ties? I used a combination of plastic zip ties and rebar ties ... but my rebar ties all started rusting pretty quickly.

I'll look to replace what breaks with stainless/galvanized something.

Plastic is super handy from a cheap quick and easy approach. They can easily be cut/moved as needed.
They do rust fairly quickly, but they will last several years.

Back
Top Bottom