Shade Cloth for Hoop Coop - Need Your Input!

fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
I had a free shade cloth offer through Am.azon, and thought it might be worth requesting for my hoop coop.

It just arrived, and I am trying to figure out how to get some use out of it.

It's long enough to cover the hoop all the way to the ground on both sides, and it's 6' wide...but there are no grommets, no way to tie it down.
IMG_20230523_163553148_HDR.jpg

I pulled out a package of bungees I purchased for this type of project. I bought them because they were supposedly 42" long, but they're short, folded over, and worthless as far as I can see!
IMG_20230523_172311284.jpg

:rolleyes:

So I made small holes and zip-tied it in place. Then I rolled it up so I didn't restrict ventilation. I used a couple peg board hangers to keep the sides rolled up, just until I can come up with a better idea.

IMG_20230523_173148960_HDR.jpg

Now what? :confused:

I want to secure it better against wind, and rig some way to roll it up so it stays.

Thoughts?

Can't really zoom in far enough but it looks like the shade cloth I have.
I added grommets but also use 4" zipties, they fit right thru the weave with making holes.
I also use plastic squeeze clamps to help put it up, might work to keep your roll up.

I had very similar on my hoop run. Just had zip ties for one season. We had 80 mph winds and it did not shift. I have also used greenhouse plastic clips but I had to install PVC on my run in order to clip to. I prefer the zip tie method. I like the pinch clamps that were suggested by aart to keep your side up.

Last edited:
Can't really zoom in far enough but it looks like the shade cloth I have.
I added grommets but also use 4" zipties, they fit right thru the weave with making holes.
I also use plastic squeeze clamps to help put it up, might work to keep your roll up.
Screenshot_20230523-201754-930.png

Like these?

Would 1" be strong enough?
It might be but the wider the strap the better the grip it has if you have severe winds. I get some strong thunderstorms here near the Gulf of Mexico so I went with the wider. I needed several rolls with the number of houses already built with more in the works now. The person I saw using this first was using the wider strapping and I assume for the same reasons.

I had a free shade cloth offer through Am.azon, and thought it might be worth requesting for my hoop coop.

It just arrived, and I am trying to figure out how to get some use out of it.

It's long enough to cover the hoop all the way to the ground on both sides, and it's 6' wide...but there are no grommets, no way to tie it down.
View attachment 3516277

I pulled out a package of bungees I purchased for this type of project. I bought them because they were supposedly 42" long, but they're short, folded over, and worthless as far as I can see!
View attachment 3516279
:rolleyes:

So I made small holes and zip-tied it in place. Then I rolled it up so I didn't restrict ventilation. I used a couple peg board hangers to keep the sides rolled up, just until I can come up with a better idea.

View attachment 3516280

Now what? :confused:

I want to secure it better against wind, and rig some way to roll it up so it stays.

Thoughts?

Option 1:
For tarps that have no eyes, you can use tarp clamps.

Option B:

Sandwich the tarp with to strips of wood and screw them together.

Option III:

Get a Circular saw and cut down the length of PVC pipe. Like the two big pipes(just an example.) Clamp pvc to table stack boards til the Shoe can sit without teetering. Screw down one more board offset as a guild. Cut the slit just big enough for the tarp to fit. If you get lucky you can roll the tarp over the smaller pipe and push it all the way in, keeping the stitched over lapped edge coming out (like towel end) and it might just hold tight enough. If it is too tight you can slit the inner pipe so that is can compress. Too loose, you can slide tarp all the way in and screw the two pipes together at the ends and one in the middle.

20230524_073600.jpg

It might be but the wider the strap the better the grip it has if you have severe winds. I get some strong thunderstorms here near the Gulf of Mexico so I went with the wider. I needed several rolls with the number of houses already built with more in the works now. The person I saw using this first was using the wider strapping and I assume for the same reasons.
But if I strap it I can't roll up the ends. I'd have to cut it, or fold it over double.
:confused:

Back
Top Bottom