1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does a rooster have to be with a hen for fertile eggs??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aShMaNv, Feb 29, 2012.

1. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    I have two roosters with my flock. I am ready to hatch eggs this spring. I was wanting to use a certain rooster so i penned one up. I did this yesterday morning. How long do i have to wait before i can be sure the eggs i am getting are fertile by the rooster that is with the hens now??

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would wait a few days.Crack one and check for the white spot in the yoke. My roo has been with the ladies for almost a year now,and not every egg I use is fertile.They get down to business quickly once they make clear their position in the flock,lol.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hens readily retain sperm for two weeks. After two weeks a rooster's 'influence' diminishes but some fertility MAY remain up to 4 weeks. If you wait 2 weeks after the removal of the undesired rooster, MOST eggs will probably have been fertilized by the present flock rooster.

1 person likes this.
  4. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

What they said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by