How long does it take after adding light for hen to lay?

Laughingduck81

Chirping
Dec 14, 2020
We just got our first egg ever today (yay!!). I added a light on a timer two days ago (the hens were squatting and combs/wattles very red but no eggs, and I wanted to speed things up ). Today we got our first pullet egg. Im curious if the light can affect them that quickly? If I turn off the light, will they stop laying? They are twenty weeks old. Also, how long does it take the egg to fork in their body?

We just got our first egg ever today (yay!!). I added a light on a timer two days ago (the hens were squatting and combs/wattles very red but no eggs, and I wanted to speed things up ). Today we got our first pullet egg. Im curious if the light can affect them that quickly? If I turn off the light, will they stop laying? They are twenty weeks old. Also, how long does it take the egg to fork in their body?
The light is unnecessary and probably unrelated to you getting your first egg. Typically 21 weeks is when they start laying. Patience - it’s not the right time of year for supplemental lighting.

Ok one more question (Im a complete newbie so bear with me). Now that we have our very exciting first egg, should we expect her to start laying regularly, or will there be a week pause, then maybe another, and it slowly ramps up to proper production ?

Ok one more question (Im a complete newbie so bear with me). Now that we have our very exciting first egg, should we expect her to start laying regularly, or will there be a week pause, then maybe another, and it slowly ramps up to proper production ?
This completely depends on the breed. If you have leghorns or sex linked production chickens, they should start laying an egg almost everyday. Heritage breeds lay more sporadically.

I have three barred rock/Australorp crosses and two silkie frizzle mixes all around 20 weeks old. I assume the egg was from one of the barred rock crosses.

It is the cutest little egg :) There it is next to a store bought egg.

Attachments

• CB332010-B641-4722-A7BC-14B3F9AB5448.jpeg
    CB332010-B641-4722-A7BC-14B3F9AB5448.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DCF1272A-4F28-46C4-86F7-8FEEACE94950.jpeg
    DCF1272A-4F28-46C4-86F7-8FEEACE94950.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 8
This completely depends on the breed. If you have leghorns or sex linked production chickens, they should start laying an egg almost everyday. Heritage breeds lay more sporadically.
I agree. Our ISA Browns laid non stop through the winter. The Dominiques stopped laying for around two months in the cold of winter. Now that it’s warm again, we’re seeing the Dominiques lay almost every day.

Back
Top Bottom